Teaching Architecture: Resources
This bibliographic guide focuses on resources of interest to architecture instructors. See also additional materials and guides available on the Environmental Design Library website. Be sure to check the library catalogs for many additional resources, or contact the reference staff in the Environmental Design Library.
Compiled by Elizabeth Douthitt Byrne, October, 2004. Content reviewed:
- Architectural history and the studio, ed by Adam Hardy and Necdet Teymur. London: ?uestion Press, 1996.
- EnvDesign NA2005.A66 1996
- Building community: a new future for architecture education and practice: a special report ("The Boyer Report.") Ernest L. Boyer and Lee D. Mitgang. Princeton, N.J.: Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 1996.
- EnvDesign NA2105.B69 1996
- Changing architectural education, towards a new professionalism, edited by David Nicol and Simon Pilling.London; New York: E & FN Spon, 2000.
- EnvDesign NA2000.C48 2000
- The History of history in American schools of architecture, 1865-1975, edited by Gwendolyn Wright and Janet Parks.New York, N.Y.: Temple Hoyne Buell Center for the Study of American Architecture and Princeton Architectural Press, 1990. (Series: Buell Center books in American architectural history no. 1)
- EnvDesign NA2105.H58 1990
- The liberal education of architects: a symposium sponsored by the Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts / ...[Lawrence, Kan.]: University of Kansas, School of Architecture and Urban Design, [1990?]
- EnvDesign NA2105.A1.L53 1990
- Windsor Forum on design education: toward an ideal curriculum to reform architectural education, Vero Beach, Florida, April 12-14, 2002. Stephanie E. Bothwell et. al. Miami, Fl.: New Urban Press, 2004.
- EnvDesign NA2000.W563 2002
Course Reserves & Websites
- Library Services for Faculty and Instructors http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/services/for_users/faculty_instructors.html - A gateway site of services and resources for GSIs and other instructors that includes information on course reserves, media, reference assistance, borrowing privileges, proxy borrowing privileges, and services to recommend to your students.
- Mellon Library/Faculty Fellowship for Undergraduate Research http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/mellon/ - Mellon Foundation grant-funded program that encourages and facilitates faculty collaboration with the library and other partners to build undergraduate knowlege of information resources; enhance student research and information competencies; connect faculty research more effectively with classroom teaching; provide extended opportunities for faculty to mentor creative student discovery and research both within and beyond the classroom. Their readings are especially helpful.
- Teaching Resources http://www.berkeley.edu/teach/ - UC Berkeley Gateway site to numerous guidelines, policies, procedures and assistance concerning teaching at Berkeley.
- ACSA news. Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture. Washington, D.C.:The Association, 1970-- (title varies.) Published monthly during the academic year (September through May), serves the essential function of exchanging timely information by presenting scholastic news from ACSA member schools as well as announcements of upcoming ACSA programs. In addition, ACSA NEWS is the primary vehicle for schools to advertise faculty positions.
- EnvDesign NA2000.A1.A13 periodical stacks
- Chronicle of Higher Education. http://chronicle.com/ Washington, D.C.: Chronicle of Higher Education. Primary source of news and job ads in higher education in general.
- Educ-Psych MICROFILM 2476 LA 1966-85; latest issue at circ desk fLA227.3.A1.C45
- JAE, Journal of Architectural Education. Washington, Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture. 1947- . JAE is the only refereed journal in North America devoted to architectural education. Published quarterly, the purpose of the JAE is to enhance architectural education, theory, and practice by addressing significant questions in architectural thought and practice today. JAE's website. http://www.jaeonline.ws/
- EnvDesign NA2000.A1.J6 Periodical stacks; Cum Index: 1(1947)-31(1978)
- Journal of architectural and planning research http://uclibs.org/PID/22009 UC Only New York, N.Y. : Elsevier, 1984--
- Online: Selected article text for v.15:no.4 (winter:1998)- via WilsonWeb Art Full Text.
Print: EnvDesign NA1.J631 Periodical stacks 1, 1984--
- Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians http://uclibs.org/PID/38016 UC Only Philadelphia, the Society, 1941--
- Online: v. 1-(5 years from present)
Print: EnvDesign NA11. A83
- Elizabeth Byrne, Architectural history, theory, criticism: email@example.com
- Educational Technology Services http://ets.berkeley.edu/- ETS promotes and supports the effective integration of technology in teaching, learning and communication at UC Berkeley.
- Media Resource Center http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/- MRC, located on Floor 1 of Moffitt Library, is the Library's primary collection of materials in non-print formats, including both moving image and audio collections. A comprehensive list of videos by subject is available, including Environmental Design. Materials are non-circulating. However, instructors may contact the MRC staff to reserve materials for same-day classroom use or make arrangements to borrow materials overnight for preview. Contact MRC in person, online, or at 642-8197.
- Citation Styles, Avoiding Plagiarism, and Style Manuals http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/instruct/guides/citations.html- UC Berkeley Library guide with practical, easy-to-understand guidelines and examples.
- Moss (Measure Of Software Similarity) http://theory.stanford.edu/~aiken/moss/- Moss is an automatic system for determining plagiarism. The algorithm behind Moss is a significant improvement over other cheating detection algorithms. It is free for non-commercial uses.
- Turnitin http://www.turnitin.com - Turnitin is a proprietary system that instantly identifies papers containing unoriginal material and acts as a powerful deterrent to stop student plagiarism before it starts.
- Faculty Help Desk, Student Conduct, Plagiarismhttp://ls.berkeley.edu/?q=faculty/helpdesk/conduct - UC Berkeley College of Letters and Science site with everything a faculty member needs to know about plagiarism.
- Code of conduct for diversity in architectural education. Washington, D.C. : Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture, [1992?]
- EnvDesign NA2105.A1.A87 1992
- Committee on Courses of Instruction Handbook, UC Berkeley http://academic-senate.berkeley.edu/committees/coci/handbookTOC -
UC Berkeley guidelines and policies on courses, exams, grading, etc.
- Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education. Chicago: American Libraries Association, Association of College and Research Libraries, 2000. http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/standards/informationliteracycompetency.cfmRecent standards adopted by most accrediting agencies, including WASC, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, the accrediting agency for UC Berkeley.
- Policy for the Evaluation of Teaching http://apo.chance.berkeley.edu/evaluation.html- UC Berkeley policy for evaluation of teaching for advancement and promotion, and recommendations for analyzing student course evaluations.
- Architecture reading lists and course outlines, vol. 1-4, ed. by Georgia Bizios. Chapel Hill, NC: Eno River Press, 1991-- . Compilations of architectural course syllabi from many different institutions.
- v. 1: Architectural theory and criticism, urban design theory, architectural history; v. 2: Architectural design, human behavior, special topics; v. 3: Architectural design, architectural theory and criticism, environmental issues, human behavior, professional practice...; v. 4: Architectural design, architectural theory, history, and criticism, human behavior, professional practice, special topics....
- MIT OpenCourseWare, Architecture http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/architecture/ - MIT's Architecture courses, including readings, syllabi, assignments, etc.
- Critical Evaluation of Resources http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/instruct/guides/evaluation.html- UC Berkeley Teaching Library guide to critical thinking about resources used for research.
- Evaluating Web Pages http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/Evaluate.html- UC Berkeley Teaching Library guide to skillful analysis of Internet sites.
- Designing Effective Assignments http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/instruct/assignments.html- An excellent guide to creating research assignments that make use of UC Berkeley Library and Internet resources, promote deeper connections with course material and foster the development of research skills as required by new information literacy standards.
- Current awareness service: Books UC Only - Once you have created a successful search in Melvyl keep yourself informed as new items are added to the catalog that match your original search. Use the Updatefeature in Melvyl Note that you can have several update profiles simultaneously. Many periodical indexes offer similar services.
- Current awareness service: Journal Articles UC Only - Once you have created a successful search in a periodical index, keep yourself informed as new items are added to the catalog that match your original search. Using the alert service, you will receive an e-mail notifying you of new citations added to the database on your topic. Use the AutoAlert feature available in EI Compendex (Engineering Index), the CSA Alert http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ENGI/guides/csa_alerts.html in ARTbibliographies Modern, Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management, e-psyche, ERIC, GeoRef,, PAIS International, PsycINFO, and Sociological Abstracts; and Alerts http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/BIOS/wok_alerts.pdf in Web of Science Databases Arts & Humanities or Science Citation Indexes. Note that you can have several update profiles simultaneously. Not all periodical indexes offer this service.