Architecture Professional Practice Resources
This is a selective annotated guide to resources on the professional practice of architecture and design, including history of the profession, registration, exam details, licensing, business management, ethics and other materials of interest to the practicing architect or designer. For additional assistance, consult the Environmental Design Library reference staff, 210 Wurster Hall.
Or, find selected resources for
Content reviewed: October 2009. Compiled by Susan Koskinen; updated by David Eifler.
Search library catalogs for books, videos, dissertations and journal holdings and call numbers.
- OskiCat UC Berkeley Library Catalog
- Melvyl contains holdings of all 9 UC campuse and selected other libraries, including the California Historical Society and the Center for Research Libraries.
- RLG Union Catalog UC Only A catalog of over 42 million items held in member institutions of the Research Libraries Group. Includes books, serials, archives, manuscripts, maps, music scores, sound recordings, films, photographs, posters, computer files, etc., in over 365 languages. Coverage includes incunabula to the present. Use to identify items at UCB, and the Request feature to obtain via Interlibrary Borrowing materials not at UCB.
- WorldCat database (OCLC) UC Only A database of more than 52 million records in all disciplines from approximately 17,000 libraries worldwide, presenting 400 languages. Use to identify items at UCB, and the Request feature to obtain via Interlibrary Borrowing materials not at UCB.
Use SEARCH TERMS or SUBJECT HEADINGS such as the ones below in OskiCat or Melvyl to find books and in the periodical indexes to find articles.
Architectural practice-- Management
Architectural Services Marketing
Architecture Designs and Plans
Architecture--Moral and ethical aspects
Use periodical indexes to find articles in journals, magazines, newspapers, government documents, conference proceedings, and other sources. Journal articles frequently include illustrations and plans. Some databases offer full text, others are citation only which can be used to look for the printed copy. Use
for journal call numbers or a link to the article full text. For off-campus access to The Library's online resources see Connecting from Off Campus
and the UC Berkeley Library Proxy Server Service
- Architecture indexes & abstracts (UCB Environmental Design Library guide) Lists paper and electronic indexes. Use for current architecture practice information, competitions, prizes, commissions, new projects and developments.
- [Business] Databases A-Z (Thomas J. Long Business Library) Lists indexes for business
resources. Many are UC Only or UCB Only. Includes links, descriptions and dates
of coverage. Use for business management issues, financial data, and marketing
planning indexes & abstracts (UCB Environmental Design Library guide) Lists paper and electronic indexes. Use for zoning,
urban design, current practices and development issues.
- Engineering Indexes (UCB Engineering Library guide) Use
for current projects, structural and design details, cost data and design
planning indexes & abstracts (UCB Environmental Design Library guide) Lists paper
and electronic journal article indexes. Use for urban design issues, environmental
impact reports, current projects and events.
- Landscape architecture (UCB Environmental Design Library guide) Use for articles on current professional actitivites and information.
ASSOCIATIONS / ORGANIZATIONS
often publish guidelines, newsletters, conferences, continuing education and more.
- Association for Computer-Aided Design in Architecture has educational
focus, has conferences and publishes, The International Journal of Architectural
Computing (IJAC) a peer-reviewed publication. Articles enhance the
understanding of digital systems for architectural design and technologies.
- American Institute of Architects is a national organization for
member architects. Note not all architects are members and are included
in the directory.
- American Institute of Architecture, California Council is
the nation's largest state architectural organization, representing more
than 9,000 architects on issues of statewide importance to the public and
profession. The Council, comprising 21 regional chapters, is a member-driven
- American Institute of Architecture Students Promotes architecture
education, training and practice. Members of the AIAS have the opportunity
to have their work published in Crit, the only national journal devoted
to the work and critical thoughts of architecture students. AIAS hosts
an annual convention, FORUM.
- Association of Preservation Technology is
the international cross disciplinary organization dedicated to promoting
technology for conserving historic structures and their settings. Includes
architects, conservators, tradespeople, consultants, planners, curators,
landscape architects, engineers, developers, educators, engineers, historians,
- Associations on the Net, Internet Public Library: Guide to web sites of prominent organizations and associations.
- The encyclopedia of associations
and information sources for architects, designers, and engineers /
David Kent Ballast. Armonk, N.Y.: Sharpe Professional, c1998.
EnvDesign NA62.B35 1998.
Shelved: Book at Reference Desk, CD-ROM on Permanent Reserve
- National Architectural Accrediting Board authorized to accredit
US professional degree programs in architecture. Most state registration
boards in the United States require an applicant for licensure to have
graduated from a NAAB-accredited program, obtaining such a degree is an
essential aspect of preparing for the professional practice of architecture.
While graduation from a NAAB-accredited program does not assure registration,
the accrediting process is intended to verify that each accredited program
substantially meets those standards that, as a whole, comprise an appropriate
education for an architect. The curriculum of a NAAB-accredited program
includes general studies, professional studies, and electives.
- NAHB - National Association of Home Builders is a trade association that helps promote housing policies. NAHB analyzes
policy issues, public relations, monitors and works toward improving the
housing finance system, and analyzes and forecasts economic trends. NAHB
also works with federal agencies on regulations affecting housing and strives
to shape decisions of the courts such that laws and regulations may be
interpreted favorably for the housing industry.
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, Washington,
DC. The Council develops and recommends standards required of an applicant
for architectural registration, regulating the practice of architecture,
provide a process to member boards for certifying the qualifications of
an architect for registration, represents the interests of member boards
before public and private agencies. This site lists publications on the
occupational outlook, regulation of architecture.
- National Organization of Minority Architects This organization brings together minority architects; includes a yearly conference and publications.
- Society of American Registered Architects Founded
in 1956 as a professional society, includes participation of architects,
regardless of their roles in the architectural community. Has a professional
referral service, seminars with its annual convention, professional and
student design awards competitions and issues.
of Design Administrators Provides
educational and professional standards for design firms. The Handbook of
Design Office Administration includes accounting, human resources, office
administration, technical disciplines, and marketing. Available to SDA
members at a special rate. Publ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
list facts, firms, areas of specialization, organizations and more.
- Almanac of architecture and
design. Washington, D.C.: Greenway Communications; Atlanta: CMD Group;
Kingston, MA; Distributed in the U.S. by R.S. Means Co., c2000. Includes
the text of speeches, essays, lists of awards, leadership rolls, records,
rankings, project awards, obituaries and more for the current year.
EnvDesign NA9.A27 Shelved:
Latest ed. Reference Desk; earlier c.1's in Reference Library has: 2000-2004
- California Architects Board. Directory of Licensed Architects. Links
to a architect license verification database.
- Cyberplaces: the internet guide
for architects, engineers, contractors & facility managers / Paul
Doherty. 2nd ed. Kingston, MA: R.S. Means, c2000.
EnvDesign NA2728.D64 2000
- AIA Historical Directory of American Architects. Information about past architects in the AIA Archives and elsewhere, including 50,324 members of the AIA at the national level who joined between 1857 and 1978. (To protect their privacy, the membership files of living persons are not available.) Non-AIA members and architectural firm names are also in the AIA Historical Directory if they appear in one of the information sources used to build the AIA Historical Directory.
HISTORY OF THE PROFESSION
- The American architect from the colonial era to the present / Cecil D. Elliott. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland & Co., c2003.
EnvDesign NA1995.E48 2003.
- The architect: chapters in the history of the profession / edited by Spiro Kostof; foreword and epilogue by Dana Cuff. Berkeley: University of California Press, c2000. Kostof, Spiro.
- EnvDesign NA1995.A73 2000
- Architecture in the digital age: design and manufacturing / ed by Branko Kolarevic. New York,
NY: Spon Press, 2003.
EnvDesign NA2543.T43.A724 2003
- Architectural knowledge: the idea of a profession / Francis Duffy with Les Hutton. London; New York:
E & FN Spon, 1998.
EnvDesign NA1996 .D84 1998
- Architectural thought and the
design process and the expectant eye/ Michael Brawne. Oxford: Architectural,
2003. Includes a study of study of successful buildings from the past and
discusses the effect of visual technology on design.
- Design professionals and the
built environment: an introduction / edited by Paul Knox and Peter
Ozolins. Chichester, U.K.; New York: J. Wiley, c2000.
EnvDesign NA2542.35 .D459
- The executive architect : transforming
designers into leaders / John E. Harrigan, Paul R. Neel; with contributions
by Douglas H. Austin ... [et al.]. New York : J. Wiley, c1996.
EnvDesign NA1996 .H32 1996
- From craft to profession: the
practice of architecture in nineteenth-century America / Mary N. Woods.
Berkeley: University of California Press, c1999. Available in print and
This is a survey of the history
of the architecture profession in nineteenth-century America. focuses on
architecture as work and business rather than art or problem solving. Includes
this history of some famous practices, such as Benjamin Henry Latrobe,
the history of professional organizations, architect's training, education
EnvDesign NA1996.W64 1999.
Electronic location UC Only: eScholarship. http://www.escholarship.org/editions/view?docId=ft2m3nb1bc&brand=ucpress
- History of the profession, the design process. Includes legal contract documents used by architects.
Index in vol.1
- The Making of an architect,
1881-1981: Columbia University in the City of New York / edited by
Richard Oliver. New York: Rizzoli, 1981
Library has: 2 copies
- Reconstructing architecture:
critical discourses and social practices / Thomas A. Dutton and Lian
Hurst Mann, editors. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, c1996.
Pedagogy and cultural practice ; v. 5.
EnvDesign NA1996.R33 1996
- Reconstructing architecture
for the twenty-first century: an inquiry into the architect's world / Anthony Jackson. Toronto; Buffalo: University of Toronto Press, c1995.
EnvDesign NA2500.J33 1995
- The Architect registration
examination / NCARB. Washington, DC : National Council of Architectural
Registration Boards National Council of Architectural Registration Boards.
Brochure. (National Council of Architectural Registration Boards) ; no.
EnvDesign NA123.A69 Reference
Library has: BOUND 1996
- Architecture exam review /
Steven E. O'Hara and David Kent Ballast. 5th ed. Belmont, CA : Professional
Publications, c2002. v. 1. Structural topics -- v. 2. Nonstructural topics.
"Updated for the computerized ARE exam" --on cover. Rev. ed. of: Architecture
exam review / David Kent Ballast. 4th ed. 1998. Complete in 2 volumes.
EnvDesign NA123.B35 2002.
Shelved:v.1-2 (copy 1) on Permanent Reserve.
- Architecture exam review solved
problems : multiple-choice divisions / David Kent Ballast. Belmont,
CA : Professional Publications, c2005. New edition gives samples questions
of all types, with answers and explanations.
EnvDesign NA123.B37 2005
- ARE study guide: graphic divisions / Nat. Council of Architectural Reg.Boards.Washington, DC:The Council,
EnvDesign NA123.A74 2001
- ARE study guide: multiple-choice
divisions / National Council of Architectural Registration Boards.
Washington, DC: The Council, c2001.
EnvDesign NA123.A742 2001
- American Institute of Architects.
Supplementary education handbook: an intern's companion to the architect's
handbook of professional practice. Washington, D.C.: AIA, 1992.
- Building design : materials
& methods / Caleb Hornbostel. Chicago, Ill.: Kaplan AEC Architecture,
c2004. This exam review covers construction methods, specifications, and
potential defects. Also: Principles, Environmental Issues, Codes and Regulations,
Materials and Technology, Project and Practice Management, Sustainable
EnvDesign TA404.3.H66 2004
- California professional &
business license handbook. Sacramento, Calif.: California Trade
and Commerce Agency: Employment Development Dept., 1999. Continues: California
Architects Board. State Board of Architectural Examiners. California
requirements and instructions for filing applications for the architect
Sacramento, Calif.: Board of Architectural Examiners, 1993. For current
requirements check the CAB web site: http://www.cab.ca.gov
- Licensed architect: building
design examination primer / Ken Zinns. 3rd ed. Berkeley, Calif.: Arcade
Publishers, 1991. Designed as a comprehensive primer for those preparing
for the building design division of the architectural registration exam.
Slightly out of date, but still helpful.
- Licensing Requirements by State. NCARB. This site provides
the requirements to practice architecture ion the United States by each state.
National Council of Architectural Registration Boards. NCARB helps
develop and recommend standards to be required of an applicant for architectural
registration, standards regulating the practice of architecture, provide
a process to member boards for certifying the qualifications of an architect
for registration, represents the interests of member boards before public
and private agencies. There are numerous publications available through
the web site and in the library.
- Preparing for the architect
registration examination. Washington, D.C.: National Council of Architectural
Registration Boards, c1997 Merger: Architect registration examination.
Graphic handbook and Architect registration examination. Multiple choice
EnvDesign NA123.N364 Latest edition reference desk. Library has: 1997
- PSMJ licensing manual for the
design & building industry. Newton, MA: Practice Management Ass,
EnvDesign KF2925 .P76 1995
Reserve [book; compu/d]
- Registration Boards, 1997--
Provides sample design solutions from previous years' designs. Video also
available, but not at UCB. Title changes constantly. For more information
EnvDesign fNA123.N32 Latest
- Solutions: understanding the
graphic divisions of the architect's exam / Norman K. Dorf. Glen Cove,
EnvDesign NA123.D67 1998
- Architectural salaries survey.
Phoenixville, Penn.: D. Dietrich Associates, Inc. 1990/91-- . Annual.
- EnvDesign NA1995.S9 Latest ed.
- Compensation at U.S. architecture
firms: 1997 AIA report. Washington, D.C.: The American Institute of
EnvDesign NA1995.C66 1996
Methods for Architectural Services / Thomas
R. Gossen, AIA, PE, Secretary/Treasurer and Chief Operating Officer Gossen
Livingston Associates, Inc. This internet article
discusses fees from the broadest perspective applicable to architectural
services as a whole. Most architects are willing to do business under any
of a number of fee arrangements; generally, the method chosen is for the
convenience of the client. Definitions of terms used in this article are
covered in Section 2.
- Management Design ... survey
for California architectural firms / prepared by Management
Design ; endorsed, prepared and distributed by Management Design; endorsed
by CCAIA. San Francisco, CA: Management Design.
EnvDesign NA1995.M35. Shelved: Latest
Rare (may NOT be photocopied) Library has: 1989, 1992-1994, 1996-2003 (more
than one copy of some issues) ENVI Rare
ETHICS & PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility Includes information about
the AIA National Ethics Council. This website lists ethics information
Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct (PDF)
- Art, artifact & architecture
law, by Jessica L. Darraby. Deerfield, IL: Clark Boardman Callaghan,
c1995- . Includes copyright , historic preservation, architectural works,
Law Lib KF4288 .D37
- California Architects Board.
CAB. Rules of Conduct.
- Design plus enterprise: seeking
a new reality in architecture & design / James P. Cramer. Updated
and expanded ed. Norcross, GA : Greenway Consulting, 2002.
EnvDesign NA2750.C66 2002
- Ethics and the practice of architecture / Barry Wasserman, Patrick Sullivan, Gregory Palermo. New York: Wiley,
EnvDesign NA1995 .W38 2000
- Herman Miller, Inc., buildings
and beliefs / Jeffrey L. Cruikshank and Clark Malcolm. Washington,
D.C.: American Institute of Architects Press, 1994.
EnvDesign NA737.H39 C78
- Rules of conduct / NCARB
National Council of Architectural Registration Boards. Washington, DC:
EnvDesign NA1995 .N37 1993
- for work in firms, rather than project commissions
Hunting in Planning, Architecture, & Landscape Architecture
- This is a selectively annotated
guide to help job seekers in the professions of city & regional planning,
architecture, landscape architecture, and environmental planning. The guide
highlights the most useful items currently available at UC Berkeley for
finding information you need to job hunt, research prospective employers,
create resumes and portfolios, interview for a job, or negotiate your salary.
For additional assistance, please consult the special collections and services
section of this guide, or the Environmental
Design Library reference staff, 210 Wurster Hall.
- Careers in architecture / Blythe Camenson. Chicago: VGM Career Books, , c2002. VGM professional careers series.
- EnvDesign NA1995.C257 2002
BUSINESS PRACTICE & MANAGEMENT
Use for publications that define and provide guidelines to the business of architecture. Use the library catalogs and indexes to find more titles.
- AIA Practice
Management Digest (PDF) Quarterly online newsletter published by
the American Institute of Architects, presents news, trends, and best practices
of particular interest to the AIA Practice Management Knowledge Community.
- The architect in practice / David Chappell, Andrew Willis. 8th ed. Oxford ; Malden, MA : Blackwell
Science, 2000. English focus but relevant information for the architecture
student & beginning practitioner to the profession, outlines duties
to client and contractor, running a building contract, and the essentials
of management, finance and office procedure.
EnvDesign NA1996.W5 2000
- Architect overseas practice
standards : a guide to selected countries, by NCARB. 3rd ed. Washington,
D.C.: National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, c1994.
EnvDesign NA1996.A67 1994
- The architect's business problem
solver / Kevin Mason. New York: McGraw-Hill, c2000.
EnvDesign NA1996 .M365 2000
CD-ROM Permanent Reserve; Book in stacks [book + CD-ROM]
- Architect's essentials of contract
negotiation / Ava J. Abramowitz. New York: John Wiley & Sons,
c2002. Architect's essentials of professional practice series
EnvDesign NA1996.A24 2002
- The architect's guide to design-build
services /edited by G. William Quatman II, and Ranjit (Randy) Dhar.
Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons, c2003. Includes essays by different
authors commenting on the whole process of design-build.
EnvDesign TH438.A7395 2003
- An architect's guide to running
a practice / David Littlefield. Amsterdam; Boston: Architectural
Press, 2005. Includes case studies and advice from practitioners, takes
a modern look at the practice of architecture.
EnvDesign NA1996.L58 2005
- The architect's handbook of
professional practice / Joseph A. Demkin, executive editor. Student
ed., 13th ed. New York: J. Wiley, 2002. System requirements for accompanying
computer disc: Windows; Macintosh; Adobe Acrobat Reader 4 or higher.
EnvDesign NA1996.A726 2001b
Reserve. Library has: 2 copies of book & CD-ROM
- Briefing your architect /
Frank Salisbury. 2nd ed. Oxford; Boston: Architectural Press, 1998. Clients
guide to architectural services.
EnvDesign NA1996.S25 1998
- Getting paid: strategies to
ensure payment in foreign markets / American Institute of Architects.
Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Architects, c1993.
EnvDesign NA1991.G48 1993
- Handbook on project delivery.
Sacramento, CA: American Institute of Architects, California Council (AIACC),
EnvDesign TH425.H35 1996
- How to start and operate your
own design firm / Albert W. Rubeling, Jr. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill,
EnvDesign NA1996 .R83 1994
- Mark Zweig & Associates.
1995 Mark Zweig & Associates principal's survey of A/E/P & environmental
consulting firms, Rebecca B. Rooney, managing editor. Natick, Mass.:
The Associates, c1995. Survey results of over 350 principals of U.S. architecture,
consulting engineering and environmental service firms. Covers personal
and professional issues and business practices. Check their website: ZweigWhite for more studies and surveys. http://www.zweigwhite.com/
EnvDesign NA1995.M38 1995
- Professional practice 101: a
compendium of business and management strategies in architecture /
Andy Pressman. New York: Wiley, c1997.
EnvDesign NA1996. P76 1997
- Staying small successfully:
a guide for architects, engineers, and design professionals / Frank
A. Stasiowski. New York: Wiley, c1991.
EnvDesign NA1996 .S75 1991
- Survey & report on financial
performance in design firms, 19th annual / PSMJ/Resources, Inc. Newton,
Mass.: PSMJ Resources, Inc., c1999. PSMJ/Resources, Inc.
Environ Design NA1996.P974
- Value pricing for the design
firm/ Frank A. Stasiowski. New York: J. Wiley, c1993.
EnvDesign NA1996 .S76 1993
- What clients need: a study of
business and institutional clients' expectations of architects / research
conducted for the American Institute of Architects by the Roper Organization
and the Gorman Group. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Architects,
EnvDesign NA1996 .W42 1993
MARKETING & PUBLIC RELATIONS
- Architect's essentials of marketing / David Koren. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons, c2005. Architect's
essentials of professional practice series. Includes strategic planning,
branding, positioning and specific tools for marketing designs, obtaining
projects and commissions.
EnvDesign NA1996.K67 2005
- Architecture fact book: industry
statistics. Compiled by the American Institute of Architects. Office
of Research & Planning. Washington, D.C.: The Institute, 1988-- Information
on architecture as industry; data on nature of architecture firms; offers
a look at U.S. architects as individuals.
EnvDesign NA1996.A735 Latest
- Design/build marketing: strategies
and procedures for the small and mid-size contractor / William D. Booth.
New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, c1992.
EnvDesign HD9715.A2 B59
- Europe: architectural markets
and practice / International Markets and Practice Committee; American
Institute of Architects. Washington D.C.: American Institute of Architects,
EnvDesign NA1996.E8 1997
- Finding and signing profitable
contracts: a guide for architects, engineers, and contractors / David
G. Cooper. New York: Wiley, c1993.
EnvDesign NA1996 .C56 1993
- How to market design consultancy
services: finding, winning, keeping, and developing clients / Shan
Preddy. 2nd ed. Aldershot, Hants, England; Burlington, VT: Gower, c2004.
Published in the U.K. this book is international in scope, offers guidance
on marketing strategies and plans, 25 leading design companies offer their
EnvDesign NK1173.P74 2004
- International markets and practice: establishing successful partnerships with foreign architects: trends
and opportunities in the Americas / International Markets and Practice
Committee. Washington, DC: American Institute of Architects, c1995.
EnvDesign NA1996 .I6 1995
- Is it all about image?: how
PR works in architecture / Laura Iloniemi. Chichester, England; Hoboken,
NJ: Wiley-Academy, 2004. Architecture in practice series. Includes how
to use public relations to expand a business, sections on publicist case
studies and project case studies.
EnvDesign NA1996.I45 2004
- Marketing for architects and
engineers: a new approach / Brian Richardson. 1st ed. London; New
York: E. & F.N. Spon, 1996.
EnvDesign NA1996 .R5 1996
- Marketing and selling design
services: the designer client relationship / Mary V. Knackstedt, with
Laura J. Haney. New York : Van Nostrand Reinhold, c1993.
EnvDesign NK2116.2 .K58
- Making people respond: design
for marketing & communication. New York: Madison Square Press,
- Marketing for design firms in
the 1990s / Roger L. Pickar. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of
Architects Press, 1991.
EnvDesign NA1996.P5 1991
- Multimedia marketing for design
firms / Curtis Charles, Karen Brown. New York: John Wiley & Sons,
EnvDesign NA1996.5 .C48
1996 CD-Rom Permanent Reserve, book in stacks Book + CD-Rom
- Marketing and selling A/E and
other engineering services: an essential guide to creating your own program / [Scott C. Gladden and Arnold Olitt]. New York : American Society
of Civil Engineers, c1996.
Engin TA190 .G62 1996
- Selling architectural ideas / Tom Porter. New York: Routledge, 2000.
EnvDesign NA1996 .P64 2000
- Writing for design professionals
: a guide to writing successful proposals, letters, brochures, portfolios,
reports, presentations, and job applications for architects, engineers,
and interior designers / Stephen A. Kliment. New York: W.W. Norton,
EnvDesign NA1996 .K57 1998
PORTFOLIOS, MODELS & PRESENTATIONS
- Architectural supermodels: physical design simulation / Tom Porter & John Neale. Oxford;
Boston: Architectural Press, 2000. Includes history, photographic techniques,
model making philosophies and cad modeling. Case studies include Will Alsop's
EnvDesign NA2790.P67 2000
- Design presentation: techniques
for marketing and project proposals / Ernest Burden. 2nd ed. New York:
EnvDesign NA2750 .B86 1992
- Designing with models: a studio gudie to making and using archietctural design models / Criss B. Mills. 2nd ed.
Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley, c2005. Step-by-step process of making and using models.
- EnvDesign NA2790.M5 2005
- The graphic designer's guide
to portfolio design / Debbie Rose Myers. Hoboken, N.J.: J. Wiley &
Sons, c2005. Includes examples of traditional and digital portfolios, checklists
and a bibliography.
EnvDesign NC1001.M94 2005
- How to prepare your portfolio:
a guide for students and professionals / Ed Marquand. 3rd ed., rev.
New York: Art Direction Book Co., 1994, c1981.
EnvDesign N8351.M37 1994
- Interior design visual presentation: a guide to graphics, models, and presentation techniques / Maureen
Mitton. 2nd ed. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley, c2004. Includes CAD, digital
portfolios, resume preparation, and Web page design. Coverage of design
graphics, models, presentation techniques, planning, layout, and design.
Has illustrations, case studies, sample work from firms such as Ellerbee
EnvDesign NK2113.5.M58 2004
- Portfolio design / Harold
Linton; photographs by Steven Rost. 1st ed. New York: W.W. Norton, c1996.
EnvDesign NA2714 .L56 1996
- Portfolio: an architectural
student's handbook / Katerina Ruedi Ray, Lesley Naa Norle Lokko, Igor
Marjanovic. Oxford: Architectural, 2003. Includes electronic, academic
and professional portfolio layout and design.
EnvDesign NA2005.R29 2003
- The short road to great presentations: how to reach any audience through focused preparation, inspired delivery, and smart use of technology. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley-Intersc; Piscataway, N.J.: IEEE Press, c2003.
- EnvDesign HF5718.22.R44 2003
- Ultimate portfolio / Martha
Metzdorf.Cincinnati, Ohio: North Light Books, 1991.
COMPETITIONS & PRIZES
For more resources search under: Architecture--Competitions or Architecture--Awards.
- Almanac of architecture and
design. Washington, D.C.: Greenway Communications; Atlanta: CMD Group;
Kingston, MA; Distributed in the U.S. by R.S. Means Co., c2000. An annual
compilation, includes lists of award winners, leadership prizes, firm statistics,
education and obituaries as well as the text of award speeches.
Shelved: Latest ed. Reference Desk; earlier in Reference. Library has:
- Competitions. Louisville,
Ky.: The Competition Project, 1991. a quarterly magazine which reviews
past competitions and announces upcoming design competitions - in architecture,
public art and planning. supplemented by the quarterly newsletter, CompetitionHotline,
which only contains announcements of upcoming competitions.
Shelved: Recent unbound issues on current per shelves; bound volumes in
per stacks. Library has: 1(winter 1991)-
- Competing Globally in Architecture
Competitions / Ed. G. Stanley Collyer; with essays by Michael Bert.
et al.. Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley-Academy, 2004.
Environ Dsgn NA2335.C65
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize:
the first twenty years /
Martha Thorne, editor; contributions by Colin Amery et al.. New York:
Harry N. Abrams in association with the Art Institute of Chicago, 1999.
Pritzker Architecture Prize - sponsored by The Hyatt Foundation.
Web site includes history of the prize and a list of the laureates.
- The Pritzker architecture prize
... presented to / <1979> Published: Los Angeles, Calif.: The Foundation, c1979.
- EnvDesign NA2335 .P95 1979--
- The American Institute of Architects: Practicing Architecture http://www.aia.org/practicing/index.htm -
The AIA's guide to what you need to know to be an effective practicing architect. Includes upcoming professional development events, "Running the Firm" with "nuts-and-bolts" type information for small firms, advice for dealing with clients, new technologies, and risk management, etc.. Also includes networking opportunities and links to join their RSS feed, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.
- AIA Primer
on Project Delivery (PDF) - To help architects and contractors
achieve quality projects that fulfill owner expectations and are delivered
on time and on budget, the AIA and the Associated General Contractors of
America (AGC) formed a task force to produce a primer.
- The architect's portable handbook:
first-step rules of thumb for building design / by Pat Guthrie. 3rd ed.
New York: McGraw-Hill, c2003. Updated to include the 2000 International
Building Code and costs, checklist format for project development and design.
EnvDesign NA2750.G87 2003
- Architectural design portable
handbook: a guide to excellent practices / Andy Pressman. New York:
McGraw-Hill, c2001. McGraw-Hill portable architecture. Follows projects
in every phase, summarizes the core tasks of design. Includes quick tips,
case studies, quotes, checklists.
EnvDesign NA2750.P693x 2001
Reference and 1 circulating copy
- Getting there by design: an
architect's guide to design and project management/ Kenneth Allinson.
Oxford; Boston: Architectural Press, 1997.
EnvDesign NA1996.A418 1997
- Managing the building design process / Gavin Tunstall.
2nd ed. Oxford; Burlington, MA: Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann, 2006.
- EnvDesign NA1996.T85
- Preparing for project management:
a guide for the new architectural or engineering project manager in private
practice / David J. Williams. New York: American Society of Civil Engineers,
Engineering TA190.W52 1996
- Project management checklists:
a complete guide for exterior and interior construction / Fred A. Stitt.
New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, c1992.
EnvDesign TH438 .S75 1992
- Architects & Engineers.
James Acret. 3rd ed. Colorado Springs, Colo.: Shepard's/McGraw-Hill, 1993.
Standard source providing legal information for design professionals and
their legal advisors. Includes annual supplements.
- Avoiding claims in building
design: risk management in practice / Malcolm Taylor. Malden, MA: Blackwell Science, 2000.
EnvDesign TH438 .T39 2000
Codes & Regulatory Resources (Environmental Design Library guide) The
regulatory environment for the design and construction industries consists
of building codes and standards covering local, state, federal, land use
and environmental regulations. Building codes and standards are developed
specifically for the purpose of regulating the life-safety, health and
welfare of the public with respect to building construction and maintenance.
Once adopted, building codes become law.
This is a guide to locating
codes, especially for California and the San Francisco Bay Area, in the
UC Berkeley libraries and on the internet. Current codes are listed first,
historical or older codes follow.
- Building codes illustrated:
a guide to understanding the 2000 international building code / Francis
D.K. Ching, Steven R. Winkel, Hoboken, N.J: John Wiley, c2003.
EnvDesign TH420.C49 2003
Reference / Engineering TH420.C49 2003 Reference
- Construction nightmares: jobs
from hell and how to avoid them / by Arthur F. O'Leary & James
Acret. 2nd ed. Los Angeles, CA: BNI Publications, c2002.
EnvDesign KF902.O44 2002
- Law and regulations in architecture:
a review of the legal and regulatory frameworks / Bob Greenstreet. ... Milwaukee,
Wis.: Center for Architecture and Urban Planning Research, School of Architecture
and Urban Planning, University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee,1995.
EnvDesign K3538.G74 1995
- Working monographs in architecture
and urban planning; working paper #95-3.
EnvDesign K3538.G74 1995
- Legal guide to AIA documents / Werner Sabo. 4th ed. New York: Aspen Law & Business, c1998. Series:
Construction law lib.
HAST Reserve KF902.A3 S23
1998 Law Lib KF902.A3 S23 1998
- Legal aspects of architecture,
engineering, and the construction process / Justin Sweet. 6th ed. Pacific
Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Pub.Co., c2000.
UCB Law Lib KF902 .S93 2000
Cost estimates are critical for project development and management.
Cost data resources will provide city indexes, materials costs, productivity
rates and overhead.
- Construction Resources - Cost Data - this is a selected list of cost books in
the Environmental Design Library.
DETAILS & STANDARDS
The following links provide titles for books
on drawing, details, CAD & standards.
Reference Sources - Illustrations
Science - Details and Drawing
Aided Design (CAD) & Graphics
- The professional practice of
architectural working drawings / Osamu A. Wakita, Richard M. Linde.
3rd ed. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, c2003. Includes basic drafting,
cad, specific plans for foundations, floor schedules, elevations, case
- EnvDesign NA2713.W34 2003 Reference
- Standard methods for measuring floor area in industrial buildings. Washington, D.C.: Building Owners and Managers Association International: Society of Industrial and Office Realtors, c2004.
- EnvDesign NA2970.B85 2004
HANDBOOKS & MANUALS
A list of key handbooks especially useful for the practice of architecture.
- Architect's studio handbook / Terry L. Patterson. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001. Resource on the latest,
state-of-the-art practices in architectural studio production, from design
development to CAD, includes advice and guidelines from practitioners with
tables, charts, forms, and illustrations. Focuses on building types other
than one and two-family detached housing.
EnvDesign NA2708.P38 2001
Reference Sources: Handbooks Environmental Design Library guide containing an extended,
selected list of resources.
- Interior construction &
detailing for designers and architects / David Kent Ballast. Belmont,
CA: Prof. Publications, c1994.
EnvDesign TH2025 .B35 1994
- Interior design reference manual / David K. Ballast. Belmont, CA: Professional Publications, c1992.
EnvDesign NK2116.5 .B35
- Managing the brief for better
design / Alastair Blyth and John Worthington. London; New York: Spon,
EnvDesign NA1996 .B59 2001
- Time-Saver Standards series - search in the catalog for title. example: Time-saver Standards
for Building Types. The books in this series provide standard dimensions
for a variety of architectural details with contributions from well-known
architectural and interior design firm from actual designs and working
drawings, showing solutions for typical design problems. Includes a range
of plans and layouts for a variety of spaces, building types, interiors,
landscapes, site planning, etc.
BUILDING MATERIALS, PRODUCT LITERATURE, SPECIFICATIONS
Science Resources: Materials (Environmental Design Library guide) A selective list of
resources that focus on the use of different materials in architecture
- Sustainable Design Resources: Specifications
Trade and Product Literature
Network UCB Only / McGraw-Hill Construction Information Group. New York,
N.Y.: The Group. Continues: Directory Sweet's Group. New York, N.Y. Sweets
Directory Search is a place to start your preliminary product research.
You can search over 10,700 manufacturers, with 61,300 products. On the
Sweets website create a free account and access the online directory. Online
- EnvDesign TH445.D57 Reference
Library has: Latest only
Register of American manufacturers. New York, Thomas Pub. Co. Thomas
Register is a comprehensive online resource for finding companies and products
manufactured in North America. http://www.thomasnet.com/
- Bus & Econ f T12 .T6 BOUND