History of Architecture
This is a brief bibliographic guide to general resources for researching architectural history in the Environmental Design Library, UC Berkeley. It includes selected reference works, both print and electronic, and important historical surveys. For additional assistance please consult our other guides, in particular, Architecture Reference Sources, which is a broader, more comprehensive list. Check the Library catalogs or the Environmental Design Library reference staff for further assistance.
Content reviewed: April 2009. Elizabeth Douthitt Byrne, Head, Environmental Design Library.
The following publications are examples of books that provide guidance on the methods, principles, historiography and procedures of architectural history, how to interpret the built environment, and how to do research in architectural history. Please see the Environmental Design Library guide:
Designing a Research Strategy for a general guide to the steps in research and term paper or thesis writing, and the methodology section of
Vernacular Architecture Resources or for more specialized methodology sources.
- Architectural theory, from the Renaissance to the present: 89 essays on 117 treatises. Koln; Los Angeles: Taschen, 2003.
- EnvDesign, Art History/Cl NA2500 .A7225 2003
- Art history's history, by Vernon Hyde Minor. 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, 2001.
- Main Stack N380.M556 2001
- The content of the form, narrative discourse and historical representation, by Hayden White. Baltimore John Hopkins University Press, 1987.
- Main Stack, Moffitt, Grad Svcs D13.W564 1987
- The critical historians of art, by Michael Podro. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1982.
- Main Stack N380.P53 1982
- Experimental sociology of architecture: a guide to theory, research, and literature, by Guy Ankerl. The Hague; New York: Mouton, 1981. New Babylon studies in the social sciences, 36.
- EnvDesign NA2543.S6 .A53
- The favored circle: the social foundations of architectural distinction, by Garry Stevens. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1998.
- EnvDesign NA2543.S6.S67 1998
- "Form and User: Style, Mode, Fashion and the Artifact," by Dell Upton, in Living in the Material World: Canadian and American Approaches to Material Culture Studies, ed. Gerald L. Pocius . St. John's, Nfld.: Institute of Social and Economic Research, Memorial University of Newfoundland, c1991. Social and economic papers, no. 19.
- Main Stack GN406.L58 1991
- "Historiography and modern architecture, pts I and II" ed. by Stanford Anderson in Journal of architectural education, vol. 44 no. 3, p. 130–55, May, 1991, and vol. 44 no. 4, p.194–210, Aug. 1991.
- EnvDesign NA2000.A1J6 bound periodical shelves
- The historiography of modern architecture, UCB Only by Panayotis Tournikiotis. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1999.
- Print: EnvDesign NA680.T68 1999
- History and social theory, by Peter Burke. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press, 1993, c1992.
- Main Stack, Moffitt, Grad Svcs HM36.B85 1993
How to investigate the history of a building. (History Detectives, PBS). Clear guide to researching a building's history.
- The idea of history, by R. G. Collingwood. N.Y.: Oxford University Press, 1956. Galaxy book 1.
- EnvDesign D13.C617 1956
- Intersections: architectural histories and critical theories. Iain Borden and Jane Rendell, eds.London; New York: Routledge, 2000.
- EnvDesign NA190 .I58 2000
- On the methodology of architectural history, guest editor, Demetri Porphyrios. London: Architectural Design; New York, N.Y.: St. Martin's Press, 1981. Architectural design profile; 
- EnvDesign NA190.O51 1981
- Principles of architectural history; the four phases of architectural style, 1420–1900, by Paul Frankl. Translated and edited by James F. O'Gorman. [Cambridge, Mass., MIT Press, 1968].
- EnvDesign NA203.F713
- Principles of art history; the problem of the development of style in later art, by Heinrich Wolfflin, Translated by M. D. Hottinger. [New York] Dover Publications [194–?]
- EnvDesign N5300.W62 1940
- Reading architectural history, by Dana Arnold. London; New York: Routledge, 2002.
- EnvDesign NA190 .A76 2002
- The rise of architectural history, by David Watkin. London: Architectural Press; Westfield, NJ: Eastview Editions, 1980.
- EnvDesign NA190.W38
- The study of architectural history, by Bruce Allsopp. [New York] Praeger . Relationship between architectural history and practice; nature of architectural history.
- EnvDesign NA200.A46 1970
- Summerson and Hitchcock: centenary essays on architectural historiography. New Haven: Published for the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art [and] the Yale Center for British Art [by] Yale University Press, 2006.
- EnvDesign NA2599.8.S92 S86 2006
- Theories and history of architecture, by Manfredo Tafuri, translated from the Italian by Giorgio Verrecchia. New York Harper & Row, 1980. (Series: Icon editions).
- EnvDesign NA2500.T2813 1980
- Varieties of cultural history, by Peter Burke. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press, 1997.
- Main Stack CB15.B87 1997
- Visual methodologies, by Gillian Rose. London: Thousand Oaks; New Delhi: Sage Publications, 2001.
- EnvDesign P93.55.R67 2001
- Words and buildings: a vocabulary of modern architecture, by Adrian Forty. New York, N.Y.: Thames & Hudson, 2000. Focuses on thelanguage of modern architecture and includes a "historical and critical dictionary" of essays exploring the historical framework and theoretical meaning of 18 words that form the "core vocabulary of modernist architectural criticism."
- EnvDesign NA2543.L34 F67 2000
- The writing of history, by Michel de Certeau; translated by Tom Conley. New York: Columbia University Press, 1988. European perspectives.
- Doe Stack D13.C34131 198 , Grad Svcs D13.C34131 1988 Noncirculating
- Guide to recording historic buildings, ICOMOS. London; Boston: Butterworth Architecture, 1990.
- EnvDesign E159 .G83 1990 Reference
- HABS/HAER guidelines: recording structures and sites with HABS measured drawings, by Joseph D. Balachowski]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Park Service, Cultural Resources, Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record, 
- EnvDesign TA549.B35 2001 Reference
- Identifying American architecture: a pictorial guide to styles and terms, 1600–1945, by James J.-G. Blumenson. 2d ed.,rev. and enl. Nashville: American Association for State and Local History, 1981. Easy-to-use guide to identifying the most common American building styles.
- EnvDesign NA705 B55 1981 Reference & Circulating
- llustrated handbook of vernacular architecture, by R.W. Brunskill. 4th ed. London: Faber, 2000. British emphasis, but excellent techniques for investigating vernacular architecture.
- EnvDesign NA7328.B83 2000
Instructions for recording historical resources (PDF), California Office of Historic Preservation. Sacramento: Office of Historic Preservation, 1995.
- EnvDesign NA107.C2.C35 1995
- Measured drawing for architects, by Robert Chitham. London: Architectural Press, 1980.
- EnvDesign NA2700.C48
- Recording historic structures, ed. by John A. Burns and the staff of the Historic American Buildings Survey, Historic American Engineering Record, and Historic American Landscapes Survey, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, 2004.
- EnvDesign E159.R425 2004
- Secretary of the Interior's standards and guidelines for architectural and engineering documentation: HABS/HAER. Washington, D.C.: Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record, Cultural Resources Program, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Park Service, 1990.
- EnvDesign NA2712.U55 1990
INTERPRETING THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT
- Architecture as space, how to look at architecture, by Bruno Zevi; ed. by Joseph A. Barry. Rev. ed. New York: Horizon Press,  Includes concepts of space through many eras, and different interpretations of architecture—political, religious, scientific, etc.
- EnvDesign NA2500.Z452 1974
- Architecture everywhere: investigating the built environment of your community, by Joseph A. Weber. Tucson, AZ: Zephyr Pr., 2000.
- EnvDesign NA705 W43 2000
- Architecture, form, space & order, by Francis D.K. Ching. 2nd ed. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1996.
- EnvDesign NA2760 .C46 1996
- The arts: a comparative approach to the arts of painting, sculpture, architecture, music, and drama. Thomas A. Walters. Lanham, Md.: University Press of America, 2000.
- EnvDesign NX170.W35 2000
- Buildings and society, essays on the social development of the built environment, edited by Anthony D. King. London; Boston: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1980.
- EnvDesign NA2543.S6.B76
- Cities & people, a social and architectural history. Mark Girouard. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1985.
- EnvDesign HT111.G571 1988
- Close-up, how to read the American city, Grady Clay. Phoenix, ed. Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Pr., 1980.
- EnvDesign HT153 C585 1980
- Constructing ideas: understanding architecture, Lance LaVine. Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt Pub., 2004.
- EnvDesign NA2500.L383 2004
- "Describing architecture," in Architecture and ornament: an illustrated dictionary. Margaret Maliszewski-Pickart. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland & Co., 1998, p. 183–95.
- EnvDesign NA2840.M36 1998 Reference
- Essentials in architecture; an analysis of the principles & qualities to be looked for in buildings, by John Belcher. London, B.T. Batsford, 1907. Truth, beauty, qualities, factors, materials.
- EnvDesign NA2550.B45
- Everyday architecture of the Mid-Atlantic, looking at buildings and landscapes. Gabrielle M. Lanier and Bernard L. Herman. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1997. Creating the North American landscape.
- EnvDesign NA717.L36 1997
- Experiencing architecture. Steen I. Rasmussen. [Transl. from Danish by Eve Wendt. 2d US ed.]. Cambridge [Mass.] M.I.T. Press, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1962.
- EnvDesign NA2550 .R352 1962
- Houses and homes, exploring their history, by Barbara J. Howe .. [et al.]. Nashville, Tenn.: American Association for State and Local History, 1987. Nearby history series ; 2.
- EnvDesign E180.H681 1987
- The interior dimension, a theoretical approach to enclosed space, by Joy Monice Malnar, Frank Vodvarka. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1992.
- EnvDesign NA2850.M35 1992
- The Interpretation of ordinary landscapes, geographical essays, by D. W. Meinig, editor; J. B. Jackson. et al. New York: Oxford University Press, 1979.
- EnvDesign, Moffitt GF90.I57
- Landscape in sight, looking at America, by John Brinckerhoff Jackson; edited by Helen Lefkowitz Horowitz. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1997.
- EnvDesign GF91.U6.J317 1997
- Looking at buildings, by Christopher Trent. London, Phoenix House; New York, Roy Publishers .
- EnvDesign NA961.T74
- Looking at cities, by Allan B. Jacobs, Cambridge, MA: Harvard Univ. Press, 1985. See especially Chapter 3, "Clues," pp.30–83. Very useful presentation of the physical indicators that help the observer interpret an urban environment.
- EnvDesign HT166 J262 1985 Reserve & Circulating
- The meaning of architecture; an essay in constructive criticism, by Irving K. Pond. Boston, Marshall Jones company, 1918. Dated, but interesting, discussion of the "sublime essence of . (the) spirit .(of) the great architecture of the past."
- EnvDesign NA2520.P6
- The meaning of the built environment, a nonverbal communication approach, by Amos Rapoport. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1990.
- EnvDesign BF353 .R36 1990
- Meaningful architecture: social interpretations of buildings, edited by Martin Locock. Aldershot; Brookfield, Vt., USA: Avebury; 1994. Worldwide archaeology series; 9.
- Anthro NA2543.S6 M43 1994
- Nearby history: exploring the past around you, by David E. Kyvig and Myron A. Marty. 2nd ed. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Pr., 2000. Excellent, well-organized manual.
- EnvDesign E180.5 N98 2000
- Observing and interpreting the urban environment: case study, Prescott & South Prescott, Oakland, California, by Allan B. Jacobs. Berkeley: Institute of Urban and Regional Development, Univ. of California, Berkeley, 1982. Working paper no. 374. A case study demonstrating techniques of community observation and anaylsis.
- EnvDesign HT393 C2 C25 W6 no.374
- On doing local history: reflections on what local historians do, why, and what it means, by Carol Kammen. Nashville, TN: American Association for State and Local History, 1986. See Chapter 2, "Researching local history," pp. 43–76.
- EnvDesign E180 K281 1986
- Public places, exploring their history, by Gerald A. Danzer. Nashville, TN: American Association for State and Local History, 1987.
- EnvDesign E180 D36 1987
- Reading architectural plans: for residential and commercial construction, by Ernest R. Weidhaas. 5th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ : Prentice Hall, c2002.
- EnvDesign NA7115 .W44 2002
- Real places, an unconventional guide to America's generic landscape, by Grady Clay. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1994.
- EnvDesign E169.04.C57 1994
- Right before your eyes, penetrating the urban environment, Grady Clay. Washington, D.C.: American Planning Association; Chicago, Ill.: Planners Press, 1987.
- EnvDesign HT153 .C58571 1987
- Streets, critical perspectives on public space, edited by Zeynep Celik, Diane Favro, Richard Ingersoll. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1994.
- EnvDesign NA9053.S7.S82 1994
- The study of urban geography, Harold Carter. 4th ed. London; New York: Edward Arnold; New York: Co-published by Halsted Press, 1995. 4th ed on order for EnvDesign.
- EnvDesign GF125.C371 1981 3rd ed
- Town architecture: Blacksburg, understanding a Virginia town, by Donna Dunay. [Blacksburg, Va.]: Town of Blacksburg, the College of Architecture and Urban Studies, and the Extension Division, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1986.
- EnvDesign HT167.5.V8.D85 1986
- Understanding architecture: an introduction to architecture and architectural history, Hazel Conway and Rowan Roenisch. 2nd ed. London; New York: Routledge, 2005
- EnvDesign NA2500 .C62 2005
Online table of contents: http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip0417/2004009647.html
- Understanding architecture, its elements, history, and meaning. Leland M. Roth. New York, NY: Icon Editions, 1993.
- EnvDesign NA2500 .R68 1993 Noncirc, Moffitt NA2500 .R68 1993
- Understanding buildings, a multidisciplinary approach, Esmond Reid. London: Construction Press, 1984.
- EnvDesign TH145 .R42 1984b
- "Understanding the Use of Space: An Ethnoarchaeological Approach," by Susan Kent, in Method and Theory for Activity Area Research: An Ethnoarchaeological Approach, ed. Susan Kent . New York: Columbia University Press, 1987.
- Anthro GF95.M481 1987
For additional resources, see also Designing a Research Strategy, especially the sections on Style Manuals and Guides, Thesis/Dissertation Writing, Thesis and Dissertation Research, and Guides to Research in Architecture.
- Art information: research methods and resources, Lois Swan Jones. 3rd ed. Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt Pub. Co., 1990. Includes chapter on architecture.
- Env Design N85.J64 1990 Reference
- Art information and the Internet: how to find it, how to use it, Lois Swan Jones. Phoenix, Ariz.: Oryx Press, 1999.
- Env Design N59.J66 1999 Reference
- The dissertation: an architecture student's handbook, Ian Borden and Katerina Reudi. Oxford, Boston: Architectural Press, 2000.
- EnvDes NA2108.B67 2000.
- Image-based research: a sourcebook for qualitative researchers, Jon Prosser, ed. Bristol, PA: Falmer Pr., 1998.
- Anthro GN347 I43 1998; EnvDesign on order
- A manual for writers of term papers, theses, and dissertations, by Kate L. Turabian. 6th ed. rev. by John Grossman and Alice.Bennett. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996. Chicago guides to writing, editing, and publishing.
- EnvDesign, Bioscience, Busi, Doe Ref, Moffitt LB2369.T8 1996 Reference
- Principles of art history writing, by David Carrier. University Park, Pa.: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1991.
- EnvDesign N380.C37 1991
- Researching and writing in the humanities and arts, by Christine A. Hult. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1996.
- EnvDesign AZ186.H85 1996
- A short guide to writing about art, Sylvan Barnet. 8th ed. New York: Pearson/Longman, 2005. Short guide series. One of the best. Includes writing, interpeting, analyzing, etc. both art and architecture.
- Environ Dsgn N7476.B37 2005 Reference & Circulating
- A short guide to writing about history, Richard Marius. 3rd ed. New York: Longman, 1999.
- EnvDesign D13.M294 1999 Reference; Main, Moffitt
Main Stack 4th ed. D13.M294 2002
- Visualizing research, a guide to the research process in art and design, by Carole Gray and Julian Malins. Aldershot, Hants, England; Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2004.
- EnvDesign, Art Hist/Cl NK1170.G68 2004
Companion website: http://visualizingresearch.info/
- Writing about art, Marjorie Munsterberg. [New York]: c2009. Online edition available at http://www.writingaboutart.org/. Includes a step-by-step guide to researching art historical topics.
- Art History/Classics N7467 M867 2009 Library Use Only
- Writing about art, Henry M. Sayre. 3rd ed. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, 1999.
- EnvDesign, Art Hist N7476 .S29 1999 Reference
Bibliographies, Guides to the Literature
For a more general list of architectural bibliographies, consult Reference Sources on Architecture. See also Key Resources for Art Historical Research and Library Catalogs and Special Collections in Architecture.
- American Association of Architectural Bibliographers. Papers. New York: Garland, 1965–1979. 13 vols. Index to v.1–10 in v. 11. Garland Reference Library of the Humanities. Western architecture, mostly modern architects. Indexed by subject and series in the library catalogs.
- EnvDesign NA8.A5 Reference
- "Architecture," Chapter J. in Guide to the literature of art history. ed. by Etta Arntzen, Robert Rainwater. Chicago: American Library Association, 1980, p. 193–234. Scholarly guide to the literature.
- EnvDesign N380. A12.A671 1980 Reference
- "Architecture," Chapter J. in Guide to the literature of art history 2, ed. by Max Marmor and Alex Ross. Chicago: American Library Association, 2005. Supplements previous edition, above.
Online table of contents: http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip0420/2004016170.html
EnvDesign, Art Hist/Cl, Doe Reference N380.A12.M3 2005 Reference
- Architecture: a bibliographic guide to basic reference works, histories, and handbooks. Donald L. Ehresman. Littleton, CO: Libraries Unlimited, 1984. Good beginning points, although many are now dated.
- EnvDesign NA2520.A12.E38 1984 Reference Desk
- Architecture on screen: films and videos on architecture, landscape architecture, historic preservation, city and regional planning, comp. and ed. by the Program for Art on Film. New York: G.K. Hall, 1993. 940 film and video titles, with emphasis on architectural history. Productions originated in thirty-six countries and produced between 1927–1992, with most released since 1980.
- EnvDesign NA2588.A73.1993 Reference
- Architecture reading lists and course outlines, ed. by Georgia Bizios. Durhan, N.C.: Eno River Press, 1991–present. Survey of course outlines, syllabi and reading lists from graduate and undergraduate architecture programs of 28 universities.
- EnvDesign NA2005.A74 1991 Reference
- Architecture series—bibliography. Monticello, IL: Vance Bibliographies, 1978. Wide array of topics. Most are good starting places. Use the 3 cumulative indexes.
- EnvDesign NA200. A12.A7 Index
- Bibliografia storico-critica dell'architettura civile ed arti subalterne. Angelo Comolli. Milano, Labor riproduzioni e documentazioni [1964–65] 4 vols. Facsimile of original ed. 1788–92. First bibliography on architecture and related arts. Serves as a history of architectural criticism., and "indexes" early architectural literature. Classified, annotated bibliography covering early historical and theoretical works. Classification scheme in beginning of vol. 1. Author and title indexes at end of vol. 2, 3, 4. Index of vol. 2 covers vol. 1–2.
- EnvDesign NA8.C65 1788a Reference
- British architectural books and writers, 1556–1785. Eileen Harris. Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press, 1990. Scholarly compilation of British architecture and building books, including complete bibliographic description and collation, location in any of 4 major architecture libraries in England and North America, and a critical essay on each title. Organized alphabetically by author, with a chronological index of titles and editions, and an overall index.
- EnvDesign NA965.H37 1990 Reference
Dissertations & Theses (ProQuest) UCB Only Bibliography and index of dissertations from the first U.S. dissertation, accepted in 1861, to those accepted as recently as last semester. Dissertations published from 1980 forward and master's theses from 1988–present also include abstracts. The database represents the work of authors from over 1,000 North American graduate schools and European universities. Only UC dissertations 1996 to the present are free to UC users for downloading; you may, however, buy other titles in a variety of formats, including PDF.
Dissertations Underway on Architectural History, lists compiled by Society of Architectural Historians. Includes topics including and related to architectural history, such as urbanism, landscape studies, and interior design. This list is by no means complete or exactly up to date. Separate listing of dissertations completed since 1994.
- Goode's bibliography of doctoral dissertations relating to American architectural history, 1897–1995. James M. Goode. 2nd ed. Chicago: Society of Architectural Historians, 1995.
- EnvDesign NA705.A12.G6.1995 Reference
- Indigenous architecture worldwide: a guide to information sources. Lawrence Wodehouse. Detroit: Gale Research,1980. Gale information guide library, Art and architecture information guide series; v. 12. Bibliography of vernacular architecture by continent and country.
- EnvDesign NA208.A12.W6 Reference
- IRB-Literaturauslese. In library catalogs search series: IRB-Literaturauslese for a list of complete holdings. Bibliographies (in German) on a wide array of topics on architecture and architects.
- Call number varies
- La letteratura artistica; manuale delle fonti della storia dell'arte moderna. 2 ed. italiana aggiornata . Firenze, "La Nuova Italia"  Pensiero storico, 12. Originally published in German as Die Kunstliteratur (Main Stack N5300.S321 NRLF #: $C 62 849), valuable bibliography of literature of art and architectural history up to early 19th century.
- EnvDesign N5300.S23 1956 Reference
- Sources of modern architecture: a critical bibliography, Dennis Sharp. 2nd ed., rev. and enl. London; New York: Granada, 1981.
- EnvDesign NA642 .A12S47.1981 Reference
- 20th century architecture, a reader's guide, Martin Pawley. Oxford, Boston: Architectural Press, 2000.
- EnvDesign NA680; .P314 2000; Reference
The dictionaries below will be helpful in architectural history research. For a more general selection of architecture dictionaries, be sure to consult the Dictionaries and Foreign Language Dictionaries sections of our web guide Architecture Reference Sources.
- The anatomy of a house: a picture dictionary of architectural and design elements, Fayal Greene; NY: Doubleday, 1991.
- EnvDesign NA2840.G74 1991
- The classical language of architecture, John Summerson. Cambridge, M.I.T. Press [1966, c1963]
- EnvDesign NA2540.S85 1963
Online table of contents: http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=5137&mode=toc
- The concise dictionary of architectural and design history. Frederic H. Jones. Los Altos, Calif.: Crisp Publications, 1992.
- EnvDesign NA31.J62 1992 Reference Desk
- A concise glossary of terms used in Grecian, Roman, Italian, and Gothic architecture, by John Henry Parker. 9th ed., rev. Oxford, London, J. Parker and Co., 1896.
- EnvDesign NA31.P3 1896 Noncirculating
- Critical terms for art history, ed. by Robert S. Nelson and Richard Shiff. 2nd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2003. Collection of essays by experts on important terms in art and architectural history.
- EnvDesign, Main Stack 1st ed. N34.C75 1996
Main Stack N34.C75 2003
- Dictionary of architectural and building technology. Henry J. Cowan and Peter R. Smith. 4th ed. London; New York: Spon, 2004.
- EnvDesign NA31.C63 2004 Reference Desk
- The dictionary of architecture, by the Architectural Publication Society. London, T. Richards [1887–92]. 8 vols.
- EnvDesign fNA31.A75 Rare
- A dictionary of the architecture and archaeology of the middle ages: including words used by ancient and modern authors in in treating of architectural and other antiquities . also, biographical notices of ancient architects, by John Britton. London, Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longmans [etc.] 1838.
- EnvDesign NA31.B78 1838 Reference
- A dictionary of architecture and building, Russell Sturgis. NY: MacMillan Company; London: MacMillan, 1901–1902.
- EnvDesign NA31.S8 vol.1–3 Reference
- Dictionary of architecture & construction, edited by Cyril M. Harris. 4th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2006.
- EnvDesign NA31.H32 2006 Reference Desk
Dictionary of architecture and landscape architecture UCB Only by James Stevens Curl. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002, 2006.
Print: EnvDesign NA31.C864 2006 Reference Desk
- Dictionnaire de l'architecture du XXe siecle, sous la direction de Jean-Paul Midant. [Paris]: Hazan: Institut francais d'architecture, 1996.
- EnvDesign NA680 .D49 1996 Reference
- Dictionnaire raisonne d'architecture et des sciences et arts qui s'y rattachent, by Ernest Bosc. Paris: Firmin-Didot, 1877–1880. Good source for 19th-century material, illustrations.
- EnvDesign NA31.B6 Noncirculating
- Dizionario enciclopedico di architettura e urbanistica, Diretto da Paolo Portoghesi. [Roma], Ist. editoriale romano, –69. Collana di dizionari enciclopedici di cultura artistica.
- EnvDesign NA31 .D57 Reference v.1–6
- Glossarium Artis. Munchen: K.G. Saur. 1977–present v.1–present. Series of illustrated dictionaries of highly specialized art and architectural terms in English, French and German. Each volume a separate topic.
- EnvDesign N33.G55 Reference
Grove Art Online (now Oxford Art Online) UCB Only Electronic version of The dictionary of art, ed. by Jane Turner. NY: Grove, 1996. Contains 45,000 articles on every aspect of the visual arts—painting, sculpture, graphic arts, architecture, decorative arts and photography—from prehistory to the present day. Excellent bibliographies and links to images and related sites.
Print: EnvDesign N31.D5 1996 Reference; Index, v. 34
- Illustrated dictionary of architecture, by Ernest Burden.2nd ed. [New York]: McGraw-Hill, 2002.
- EnvDesign NA31.B83 2002 Reference Desk
- Illustrated dictionary of architecture, 800-1914, Jill Lever and John Harris. 2nd ed. London; Boston: Faber and Faber, 1993.
- EnvDesign NA31.H344 1993 Reference Desk
- International dictionary of architects and architecture. Editor, Randall Van Vynckt. Detroit: St. James Press, 1993.
- EnvDesign NA40.I48 1993 Reference Desk vol.1–2.
- Metapolis dictionary of advanced architecture: city, technology and society in the information age, by Manuel Gausa et. al. Barcelona: Actar, 2003. Hip 2-part dictionary, one alphabetical and one "ideological," of "architectural action linked to...'advanced culture,' now present in many disciplines of contemporary art, thought and technology."
- EnvDesign NA680 .M44 2003 Reference
- Multilingual dictionary of architecture and building terms, ed. by Chris Grech. London, New York: E & FN Spon, 1998.
- EnvDesign NA31.M85 1998 Reference
- Ortner & Ortner, Worterbuch der Baukunst; primer of architecture, by Laurids Ortner, Liesbeth Waechter-Bohm, Gerwin Zohlen; [transl. by Roderick O'Donovan]. Boston: Birkhauser Verlag, 2001.
- EnvDesign NA31.O78 2001
Oxford reference online: art and architecture UCB Only Six art and/or architecture dictionaries published by Oxford University Press. Search individually, or collectively.
- The Penguin dictionary of architecture and landscape architecture, John Fleming. 5th ed. London, England; New York, N.Y., USA: Penguin Books, 1998.
- EnvDesign NA31.F55 1998 Reference Desk
- A visual dictionary of architecture, Francis D.K. Ching. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1995.
- EnvDesign NA31.C44 1995 Reference Desk
- The visual dictionary of buildings. London; New York: Dorling Kindersley, 1992. Eyewitness visual dictionaries.
- EnvDesign NA31.E97 1992 Reference
- Vocabolario di architettura: prima edizione completa dal manoscritto autografo, Agostino Fantastici. Fiesole (Firenze): Cadmo, 1994. Esedra; 6. Architectural, building and civil engineering terms in use in Tuscany in the first half of the 18th century. Definitions compiled by architect-designer Fantastici (1782-1845) from the many early and classical treatises he used in his own work, and published together for the first time from the original manuscripts now in the Biblioteca Comunale degli Intronati di Siena. Includes bibliography.
- EnvDesign NA31.F26 1994 Reference
- Wasmuths lexikon der baukunst. Berlin, E. Wasmuth, a. g. [1929–37] Terms, biographies, bibliographies, and articles on legal, social and historical aspects of architecture. Especially useful for information on early modern architecture. German language. Includes plans and illustrations. Nazi influence in vol. 5, Suppl.
- EnvDesign NA31.W3 Noncirculating
For additional resources, consult the Encyclopedias section of Architecture Reference Sources, and general encyclopedias listed in the UCB Library homepage, Electronic Resources, by types, Encyclopedias.
- Calendar of creative man, John Paxton and Sheila Fairfield. London: Macmillan, 1980. Timeline from prehistory to 1970 with focus on 3-dimensional arts. Notes by date events and major works in each discipline.
- EnvDesign NX447.5.P381 1980 Reference
- Companion to contemporary architectural thought, ed. by Ben Farmer and Hentie Louw. London: New York Routledge, 1993. Not really an encyclopedia, but a wonderful "snyoptic collaborative work" that brings together a series of essays written by an international assortment of architects and historians. Introduces the reader to the essential qualities of architecture as revealed through history, and provide an "appreciation of the general state of the architectural world as it appears at the close of the 20th century." Includes bibliographies.
- EnvDesign NA2599 .C66 1993 Reference
- A dictionary of architecture and building; biographical, historical, and descriptive, by Russell Sturgis .. New York, The Macmillan company; London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1901–1902. Historically important.
- EnvDesign NA31.S8 Reference & Circulating
- An encyclopadia of architecture, historical, theoretical, & practical. London, New York [etc.] Longmans, Green, 1899.
- EnvDesign NA2520 .G9 1899
- Enciclopedia de arquitectura Plazola. Alfredo Plazola Cisneros;coautores, Alfredo Plazola Anguiano y Guillermo Plazola Anguiano. Estado de Mexico: Plazola Editores, 1994–present. 10 vols. Spanish language encyclopedia with Mexican and Latin American emphasis.
- EnvDesign NA31 .P625 1994 Reference
- Encyclopedia of architectural technology, ed. by Pedro Guedes. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1979. Architectural styles, building types, building techniques through the ages, including the present.
- EnvDesign TH845.M32 Reference Desk
- Encyclopedia of building technology, ed. by Henry J. Cowan. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1988. 210 brief articles written by experts in the field of building technology, each with bibliographic references.
- EnvDesign TH9.E481.1988 Reference Desk
- Encyclopedia of 20th century architecture, R. Stephen Sennott, ed. NY: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2004. 3 vols.
Online table of contents http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip046/2003015674.html
EnvDesign, Doe Ref NA680.E495 2004 Reference Desk
- Encyclopedia of vernacular architecture of the world, ed. by Paul Oliver. Cambridge, U.K.; New York:Cambridge University Press, 1997. 3 vols. Comprehensive encyclopedia with articles by experts in their fields. Vol. 1, theories and principles; Vols. 2–3, cultures and habitats, geographically. Complex hierarchical and alphabetical organizational structure—be sure to read the explanation on how to use. Includes cross-references, glossary, comparative lexikon of terms in 6 languages, bibliography, index of cultures, habitats, nations and locations, and general index.
- EnvDesign NA208.E53 1997 Reference
- Encyclopedie de l'architecture et de la construction. Paul Amedee Planat. Paris, Dujardin et cie [1888–1892] 6 vols. plus index. French language, historically important.
- EnvDesign NA31.P6 1890 Reference
- Encyclopedia of world art. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1959-1983. 15 volumes. Good coverage of architecture and planning history and excellent plates and bibliographies. Vol. 15 is index to set.
- EnvDesign N31.E482 Reference
- Encyclopedia of world architecture, by Henri Stierlin. 2nd ed. London: MacMillan, 1979. Concise, but good plans and indexes by location and name. 2 vols.
- EnvDesign NA200.S74 1979 Reference Desk
Grove Dictionary of Art (now Oxford Art Online) UCB Only electronic version of The dictionary of art, ed., Jane Turner. New York: Grove, 1996. Excellent coverage of architecture, landscape architecture and urban design from prehistory to the present day. Excellent bibliographies and links to images and related sites.
Print, 34 vols.: Environ Dsgn N31.D5 1996 Reference, Index, v. 34
- A history of architecture. Russell Sturgis. New York: The Baker & Taylor Company, 1906–1915.
- EnvDesignNA200.S81 1906 Reference
- MacMillan encyclopedia of architects. Editor-in-chief, Adolf K. Placzek. New York: Free Press; London: Collier MacMillan, 1982. Index by name of building and architect name in vol. 4.
- EnvDesign NA40.M25 1982 Reference Desk
- The Wilson chronology of the arts, by George Ochoa and Melinda Corey. New York: H.W. Wilson Co., 1998.
- EnvDesign N5306.O26 1998 Reference
For a broader list of general architectural indexes, see Architecture Periodical Indexes & Abstracts. A list of general indexes available online to UCB users is available on the UCB Library homepage, Library Collections, Electronic Resources, Article Databases. See also Scholarly, Trade and Popular Journals: How to Identify Them.
Architectural publications index (API) Periodicals indexed and books catalogued by the British Architectural Library. London: Published for the British Architectural Library at the Royal Institute of British Architects by RIBA publications, 1995. API is a quarterly publication with an annual cumulation that includes a series and special issues index as well as names, subject headings, topographical and building names index. Continues: Architectural periodicals index (1972–1994). Online coverage: 1984–present
Print: EnvDesign NA8.A73 Index, Aug 1995–present
Art Full Text UC Only Citations to articles, book and exhibition reviews from over 300 international publications, in a variety of languages. Covers the fields of archaeology, architecture, art history, city planning, computer applications and graphics, crafts, film, folk art, graphic arts, industrial design, interior design, landscape architecture, museology, painting, photography, sculpture, television textiles, and video. Coverage includes 9/84 to present. Formerly Art Abstracts. From "Open Database Selection Area," you may simultaneously search Art Retrospective, and several other databases, including Readers' Guide.
Print: EnvDesign N18 A72 Index 1984-95
Art Index Retrospective UC Only Bibliographic database that cumulates citations to Art Index volumes 1–32 of the printed index published between 1929–1984. Continued as Art Full Text.
Print: EnvDesign N18 A72 Index 1929-1984
ArtBibliographies Modern UCB Only Abstracts of journal articles, books, essays, exhibition catalogs, dissertations, and exhibition reviews. Covers artists and movements beginning with Impressionism in the late 19th century, up to the most recent works and trends. Although strictly architecture journals are excluded, articles on architecture in general art and design journals are included. The database covers volume years 1974 to the present.
Print: Art/Classics N1.A1.L2 Room 308J - Reference 1(1969)-26(1995
Arts and Humanities Citation Index UC Only Multidisciplinary database of the Web of Science (which also offers Science Citation Index and Social Science Index) covering the journal literature of the arts and humanities. It indexes 1,100 of the world's leading arts and humanities journals. Allows the user to look up a reference to a work the user has identified as helpful, and identify journal articles citing that work. A good way to identify other authors working on the same topic. Covers 1975–present. You may create an Alert and be notified when new material on your topic is added to the database.
Print: Hum/Area AJ3 A7 Ref stack, 1975–present
Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals UC Only Article citations in architecture, archaeology, architectural design, city planning, furtniture and decoration, interior design, historic preservation, history of architecture, landscape architecture and urban design and planning. Recent citations contain brief abstracts. Links to UC periodical holdings, and permits cross-database searching simultaneously. You may set up Alerts to be notified of new material on your topic added to their database. Coverage spans the years 1930s to the present, with selective coverage dating back to the 1860s. More than 1,000 journals in many languages are indexed.
Print: EnvDesign fNA8 C64 v. 1-15, 1890-1972; Supplements v. 1-14, 1973-1993 Index
BHA, Bibliography of the history of art Most comprehensive art history bibliography available. Includes abstracted articles from 2,500 international periodicals, books, conference proceedings, collected essays, exhibition and art dealer's catalogs and dissertations. Covers the art of Europe and the Americas from late antiquity to the modern period in a wide range of media, including architecture and industrial design, painting, sculpture, drawings, prints, decorative and applied arts, and popular and folk art from 1973–present. Strong indexing in art historiography, archaeological and antiquarian literature, area and cultural studies, critical theory. The online edition has limited coverage.
Print: Main N1 B5 1991–present
- Bibliographie zur Architektur im 19. Jahrhundert, die Aufsatze in den deutschsprachigen Architekturzeitschriften 1789-1918, ed. by Stephan Waetzoldt. Nendeln: KTO Press, 1977. 8-volume index of German-language architectural periodical literature focuses on German and central European architecture. 1789–1918. Volume 8 includes indexes by architect, author and place. Each volume has tables of contents with subjects in German and English. A list of journals indexed appears in volume 1.
- EnvDesign NA645.A12.B5 Reference
- The Burnham index to architectural literature. New York: Garland Pub., 1989. Recently added to the
Avery Index above. Indexes more than 200 journals and several hundred monographs. Compiled by the Burnham Library of Architecture at the Chicago Art Institute, 1919-1965. Better coverage of California than Avery Index for early part of the 20th century.
- EnvDesign fNA705.A12.B87 1989 Index, vols. 1-10
Dyabola (Census of antique works of art and architecture known in the Renaissance). UCB Only Searchable databases of classical art works and the literature of ancient archaeology. This German Archaeological Institute in Rome (DAI) Subject Catalog describes one of the world's largest and oldest (founded 1829) collections of research material on Classical, Egyptian, and Near Eastern Archaeology; Byzantine Art; Epigraphy; Numismatics; and Ancient History. In addition to listing book holdings, indexes articles in the journals it receives. Searchable by controlled terms for author, title, journal title, etc. and by keywords in titles and other access points, as well as through use of an elaborate subject tree of controlled terms.
FRANCIS UCB Only Indexes more than 3,000 journals, books, dissertations, and other American and European sources covering the humanities, social sciences, and economics. Produced by the Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique, most records are in French, with about 33% in English. 1984–present.
Historical abstracts UCB Only Citations to articles on the history of the world from 1450 to the present (excluding the United States and Canada, which are covered in the bibliographic database America: History and Life). Covers over 2,000 journals published worldwide 1954–present. All abstracts are written in English. Includes approximately 3,000 citations to historical book reviews and citations to abstracts of dissertations worldwide.
Print: Main Stack D299.H57, 1955–present
Index to Historic Preservation Periodicals published by the National Trust for Historic Preservation Library. Print volume 1 covers articles published from 1979-1987, and a supplement covers 1987-1990. It indexes local publications such as Oakland HeritageAlliance News, BAHA News, Heritage Newsletter (San Francisco's Architectural Heritage) and California Preservation. Available partially online (limited coverage of California journals). Select "guest login." Select "databases by name," then select "National Trust."
Print: EnvDesign Z1251.A2.U51.1992 Index
Index to 19th century American art periodicals. UCB Only Indexes 42 art journals published in the US during the 19th century, providing nearly complete coverage of journals from this period. Offers information on popular culture and industry, artists and illustrators, painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, architecture and design, exhibitions and sales, decorations, and collecting.
Print: Hum/Area N6510 .S35 1999 vols.1-2
- The new Craftsman index, an annotated chronology, subject and author index of Gustav Stickley's The Craftsman, 1901-1916, Marilyn Fish. Lambertville, NJ: Arts and Crafts Quarterly Press, 1997. Indexes the original journal (EnvDesign N1.C87 Rare), an excellent source for turn-of-the-century design history. Also available on CD-ROM.
- EnvDesign N1.C87.F57 1997 Index
Periodicals Index Online (formerly Periodicals Contents Index) UC Only Author and keyword index to the contents of thousands of periodicals in the humanities and social sciences, from their first issues. The scope is international. Some articles available full-text online. Select "Article Search." To restrict to journals in architecture, select "journal subject" and from the pull-down menu select "applied arts," "architecture" and/or other appropriate categories. Coverage: 1665 - 1995. A sister database,
Periodicals Archive Online, provides a full-text archive of some 350 journals.
- Repertoire de art et d'architecture. Paris: Bibliotheque d'art et d'archeologie, 1910-1989. Classified listing of books and journals on art and architecture worldwide until 1964, when coverage of antiquity, Islamic and Asian art pre-20th century stopped. Merged with: Repertoire international de la litterature de l'art, to form the BHA, Bibliography of the history of art (print edition only).
- Art/Classics N18.R4 Room 308 J 1910-89, cumulative indexes 1920-24 (Reference)
- Repertoire international de la litterature de l'art, RILA, International repertory of the literature of art. New York: College Art Association of America, 1975-1989. Abstracts and indexes books, periodical articles, Festschriften, exhibition catalogs, dissertations on post-classical European and post-Columbian American art. Merged with: Repertoire d'art et d'archeologie, to form the BHA, Bibliography of the history of art (print edition only).
- Main Stack N1.R15 1975-1989
The RIBA Library online catalogue is a free index to books, articles from 300+ periodicals in 20 languages, and records of drawings, photos, and manuscripts in the British Architectural Library catalogued or indexes since the 1980's. Covers 300+ journals from 45 countries on architecture and allied arts, construction, design, landscape, and to a limited extent, planning and urban history. Excludes book reviews. To limit to articles only, select ARTICLES under "Search Limits." Index Search Terms can be found in its thesaurus, Architectural Keywords (EnvDesign Index NA31.A77).
In addition to the indexes listed here, some newspapers are available full-text on the Web. Information regarding older issues is often available at these sites. From the UCB Library's home page, Electronic Reference Resources, select News Databases for a list of links to online indexes and full-text local and international newspapers.
Access World News (formerly "America's Newspapers" and "NewsBank Full-Text Newspapers") UCB Only Full-text database of selected articles from regional, national, and international newspapers and newswires. Coverage varies.
Historical Newspapers Online UC Only Contains four major historical resources: Palmer's Index to the [London] Times (1790 to 1905), Palmer's Full Text Online (1785-1870), The Official Index to the [London] Times (1906 to 1980), and The Historical Index to the New York Times (1851-1923).
Lexis-Nexis Academic UCB Only Contains full text and abstracts of news, business, and legal information and provides full-text access to nearly 6,000 individual titles. Users can search foreign and domestic newspapers and wire services; radio and television transcripts; and business, medical, industry, and legislative magazines, journals, and newsletters. There is wide geographic coverage and a translations from foreign-language sources, as well as news services like Reuters, Associated Press, Agence France Press, and Xinhua (New China) News Agency. The database is updated daily for most newspapers and even hourly for some wire services and media transcripts. Coverage varies from newspaper to newspaper, but for example, for the Final New York Times, NYCity edition, available full-text from June 1, 1980 through present; abstracts of articles, January 1, 1969–May 31, 1980.
Proceedings and Conference Papers
See also the Engineering Library's guide, How to Find Conference Proceedings.
- In the Melvyl catalog, go to Advanced Search and search Conference and keywords from title or sponsor of conference.
PapersFirst UCB Only OCLC index to individual papers presented at conferences and symposia worldwide. Covers 1993 to present.
Proceedings UCB Only OCLC index to conferences and proceedings worldwide. Each proceedings provides a list of papers presented. Individual records for each paper may be found in the PapersFirst database, cited above.
Images, Plans and Illustrations
Below is a very selective listing. For more detailed listings, consult the Environmental Design Library guides such as Image Sources for the Built Environment. For a general list of image databases, go tothe UCB Library's home page, Electronic Reference Resources, select Image and Sound Databases.
AccuNet/AP Multimedia Archive UC Only Associated Press's current photos from their 50 million image print and negative library, as well as charts, graphs, tables, and maps from the AP's graphics portfolio.
ARTstor UCB Only Searchable repository of more than 400,000 digital images and assocated catalog data. The collection is designed to be used by students and faculty for teaching and research in art history, as well as many other disciplines. Includes several collections such as: the Hartill Archive of Architecture and Allied Arts, The Mellon International Dunhuang Archive; Native American Art and Culture from the Smithsonian, etc.
California Heritage Collection, an online archive of more than 30,000 images illustrating California's history and culture, from the collections of the Bancroft Library.
Cities and Buildings Database, University of Washington.
Great Buildings Collection, Artifice, Inc.
Information Databases and Image Banks, compiled by Jeanne Brown, U. Nevada, Las Vegas Architecture Library.
- http://library.nevada.edu/arch/rsrce/webrsrce/main0001.html#Information Databases and Image Banks2844
SPIRO, the UCB Architecture Visual Resources Center online catalog of a portion of their slides.
Archival and other original, unpublished materials are often difficult to locate, so check in directories of archives and special collections to locate manuscripts, drawings and other unpublished materials. Use WorldCat (WCAT) UCB Only and other catalogs or guides to determine which institutions have collections on your topic. See also the Online Archive of California, and Library Catalogs and Special Collections in Architecture.
Architectural Archives Internet Sites compiled by Martin Aurand, Architecture Librarion and Archivist, Carnegie Mellon University. Links to numerous architectural archives in North America.
- Architectural Records in the San Francisco Bay Area: a guide to research, California Cooperative Preservation of Architectural Records, Waverly B. Lowell, project director. New York: Garland, 1988. Garland reference library of the humanities vol. 799.
- EnvDesign NA2125.C22 S2631 1988 Reference Desk
- ArchivesUSA UCB Only A directory of manuscript repositories, records from the National Union Catalogue of Manuscript Collections, and the names and detailed subject indexing of over 42,000 collections.
Bancroft Library, UCB's special collections and rare book library, has extensive holdings related to architecture. Finding aids for many are available through the
Online Archive of California.
- British archives, a guide to archive resources in the United Kingdom, by Janet Foster & Julia Sheppard. 3rd ed. Basingstoke, England: Macmillan; New York, N. Y. Stockton Press, 1995.
- Main Lib. Hum/Area CD1040 F67 1995 Ref Stack
- Catalog of Landscape Records in the United States
- Directory of archival and manuscript repositories in California, by Diance S. Nixon, Society of California Archivists 4th ed. [Berkeley, Calif.?] 1996.
- EnvDesign CD3111.A72 Reference
- Directory of archives and manuscript repositories in the United States, National Historical Publications and Records Commision. 2nd ed. Phoenix: Oryx Press, 1988.
- EnvDesign CD3020.D49 1988 Reference Desk
Environmental Design Archives, UC Berkeley. Archives of material relating to mostly Bay Area and Northern California architects and landscape architects. Available by appointment only.
International Archive of Women in Architecture
Online Archive of California, Includes finding aids for architectural manuscripts and drawings in the UCB Bancroft Library, Environmental Design Archives, and other California collections.
Repositories of Primary Sources, University of Idaho Library's international list.
- Subject collections: a guide to special book collections and subject emphases as reported by university, college, public, and special libraries and museums in the United States and Canada, compiled by Lee Ash. 7th ed., rev. and enl. New Providence, N.J.: R. R. Bowker, c1993.
- Main Info Ctr Z731 A78 1993 vol.1-2 (c1993)
Texas Archival Resources Online, University of Houston Libraries' worldwide list.
Organizations, Associations, Museums
Museum and gallery exhibition catalogs are good sources of information. While many are cataloged as books and can be found in library catalogs, it is also a good idea to check the following resources. See also the section on Organizations, Associations, Museums.
- Art exhibition catalogs: [indexes]. Cambridge, England; Teaneck, N.J. Chadwyck-Healy, 1982.
- Art Hist MICROFICHE 4226 Room 308J, News/Micro MICROFICHE.4226, Nov 1977–1990
Society of architectural historians maintains a list of current architecture exhibitions on their website.
Worldwide Books. Search the online database of Worldwide Books, which specializes in exhibition catalogs. For older materials use their print catalogs: The Worldwide bibliography of art exhibition catalogs 1963-1987. Millwood, NY.: Kraus International Publications; Ithaca, N.Y.: Worldwide Books, 1992. 3 vols.
- Doe Ref N4396.A12 W677 1992
General Histories and Surveys
Below are selected examples of general architectural and urban histories and surveys which provide good overviews, bibliographies and starting points for more detailed research.
- Architectural source book, by Vernon Gibberd. Secaucus, NJ: Wellfleet, 1988.
- EnvDesign NA200.G5 1988 Reference Desk
- Architecture, the worlds greatest buildings explored and explained, Neil Stevenson. New York: DK Pub., 1997. Annotated guides. Concise text and colorful illustrations.
- EnvDesign fNA200.S72 1999 Reference
- Atlas of world art, ed. by John Onians. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- EnvDesign, Art/Classics fN5300.A85 2004 Reference; Main Stack
- Buildings that changed the world, Klaus Richold and Bernhard Graf. New York: Prestel, 1999.
- EnvDesign NA2550.R45 1999 Reference
- Cities of tomorrow, an intellectual history of urban planning and design in the twentieth century, Peter Hall. Updated. Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Mass: Blackwell Publishers, 1996.
- EnvDesign HT166.H349 1996
- dtv-Atlas Baukunst, by Werner Muller; Tafeln, Entwurf, Gunther Vogel; Ausfuhrung, Inge und Istvan Szasz. Originalausg., 11 Aufl. Munchen: Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag; 1997. 2 vols.
- EnvsDsgn NA31.M85 1997 Reference Desk
- History of architecture: settings and rituals, Spiro Kostof. 2nd ed New York: Oxford University Press, 1995.
- EnvDesign NA200.K65 1995 Reserve, Moffitt
UNITED STATES and THE WESTERN WORLD
- America preserved, a checklist of historic buildings, structures, and sites, recorded by The Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record ; introduction by Marilyn Ibach and Georgette R. Wilson. 60th anniversity ed. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, Cataloging Distribution Service, 1995.
- EnvDesign E159 .A37 1995 Reference
- American architecture since 1780, a guide to the styles, Marcus Whiffen. Rev. ed. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1992.
- EnvDesign NA705.W47 1992 Reference
- American building, the environmental forces that shape it, James Marston Fitch with William Bobenhausen. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Online table of contents: http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/toc/98015670.html
EnvDesign NA2543.S6 F54 1999
- American buildings and their architects, William H. Pierson, Jr. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, 1970-
- EnvDesign NA705 .P5 vol.1-2; 4-5
- Architecture, from prehistory to post-modernism: the western tradition, by Marvin Trachtenberg, Isabelle Hyman. New York: H.N. Abrams, 1986.
- EnvDesign NA200.T721 1986
- Architecture in the United States, Dell Upton. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press, 1998. Oxford history of art.
- EnvDesign NA705 .U67 1998
- Architecture, the critics' choice: 150 masterpieces of western architecture, edited by Dan Cruickshank. New York: Watson-Guptill Publications, 2000.
- EnvDesign NA200 .A74 2000
- A chronology of western architecture, by Doreen Yarwood. New York: Facts on File Publications, 1987.
- EnvDesign NA200.Y371 1987 Reference
- A field guide to contemporary American architecture, Carol Rifkind. New York:New American Library, 1980.
- EnvDesign NA705 .R53 1980b Reference; Moffitt NA705 .R53
Historic American buildings survey. Cambridge, England: Chadwyck-Healey; Teaneck, N.J.: Somerset House, 1980. For information and obtaining prints, see
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division, HABS/HAER.
- EnvDesign MICROFICHE. (pt. 1) 5221-5271; (pt. 2) 19035-22993 (California, 5224)
- A history of building types, Nikolaus Pevsner. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1976.
- EnvDesign NA4170.P481 Reference & Circulating
- A history of western architecture, by David Watkin. 4th ed.New York: Watson-Guptill Publications, 2005.
- EnvDesign NA200.W412 2005
- Meaning in western architecture, by Christian Norberg-Schulz. Rev. ed. New York : Rizzoli, 1980.
- EnvDesign NA203.N6213 1980
The national register of historic places. Washington D.C., U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Park Service [etc.] Official list and updates also available online.HCRS publication. California National register is available Microfiche 10274.
- EnvDesign E159.U556 Latest edition Reference
- Styles and types of North American architecture, a social function and cultural expression, Alan Gowans. New York, N.Y.: Icon Editions, 1992.
- EnvDesign NA703 .G69 1992 Reference and Circulating