Ask a Reference Question
Site Index
Search the EART Website
Earth Sciences & Map Library's Homepage



This webpage is for archival purposes only. It is no longer being maintained. Please see our new website at http://lib.berkeley.edu/EART

Large format scanning and printing: Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Customer Service Questions
Scan/Print Questions
Cost/Payment Questions
Digital Files Questions


Can rush orders be requested if I’m short on time?

We may be able to handle your request, but it depends on our schedule and workload. Feel free to ask us if we can fulfill the request by your deadline.

How will you contact me regarding my order?

You'll receive two automated email messages from library-scans@lists.berkeley.edu:

  1. A message when your job has been entered into the system
  2. A message notifying you that your order is complete and ready for download. If you ordered other media, you'll need to pick them up at the Earth Sciences and Map Library or have them sent to you from Interlibrary Services.

How will I know when the job request has been completed?

Once the job is completed, you will receive an email confirming that your job is ready to be downloaded. If you ordered other media, and placed the order with the Earth Sciences and Map Library, this message will also mean that those items are ready for pick up.

What specific map information is needed in order to submit a request?

Please be ready to submit the call number and title of each map. It is also helpful to have the author or publisher. For individual sheets in a set, please have the specific map sheet numbers ready at the time you submit your request. This information can be found by using OskiCat.

Is it possible to get digital files printed directly from my personal USB drive or DVD?

Yes, for cartographic materials only. We can print from the following file formats: emf, gif, jpeg, jpeg2000, and tiff. To reduce confusion and errors, please be ready to give us a USB drive or DVD containing only the files to be printed. For non-cartographic materials, please consult the Moffitt Copy Center or other local copy shops. Disclaimer: If the USB drive or DVD has a virus, you will be responsible for the costs to repair our equipment.

If I am not a UC Berkeley student, faculty, or staff, but am able to pick-up my order at the Earth Sciences and Map Library, can I request the job directly with the library rather than with Interlibrary Services (ILS)?

Yes, you can request a scan or print directly with the Earth Sciences and Map Library if you are able to pick up your request at the library. Costs will be the same as ILS charges for its orders.

Is the delivery time a guarantee or expectation?

We attempt to complete requests in 1-3 business days, but you should always emphasize when submitting your request if you have a pressing deadline.

Can I bring my personal portable scanner or digital camera to the library to get digital files of maps?

Yes. You are welcome to bring in portable scanners or digital cameras to document our library materials under the following conditions:

  • you request permission in advance
  • you exercise care with our materials
  • your equipment and its use do not interfere with other patrons
  • you limit your digitization (i.e., you do not scan for continuous hours or days)
  • you agree to comply with copyright laws

Can I make a color copy of a map rather than pay for a scan and print?

Yes. You are welcome to visit the library and use our self-service color copier. The copier has two different page sizes: 8.5” x 11” and 11” x 17”.  You need to purchase a copy card from the vending machine, which only accepts bills and is not able to refund money you do not use on copying. For more information, see the Copying, Printing, and Scanning page.


Can large books or maps in folios be scanned?

No. The scanner is a sheet feed scanner and can only scan individual sheets of paper that do not have a cover.

Is it possible to use the scanner myself instead of paying for your service?

No, only trained library staff may use the scanner.

If my digital scan is not to my satisfaction, can you re-scan the map to get a higher quality file?

The files we provide are 400dpi JPEG or TIFF files, which are very high quality digital images. As such, they provide a digital representation of the paper maps in our collection, including imperfections and blemishes. We do not alter the images in any way, so that you can be assured the scan is an accurate reproduction of the map. If you are not satisfied with the digital image, please contact the library.

Can you provide “double-sided” prints?

No, that is not possible.

Why can I only get up to 10 maps scanned at a time?

The library offers these services to support and enhance academic research. We can not provide individuals with full reproduced map sets within the scope of the law, our mission, or our staffing levels.


I can not find a credit card/payment form online, how can I submit my credit card information?

The form is not available online. We can only accept credit card information over the phone or in person due to California commerce laws. When you place an order, be ready to provide the credit card number, the expiration date, the name that appears on the card, and the billing address.

How will I know when my credit card is charged?

If you receive an email that your orders is ready for download, your credit card was charged. You will be contacted directly if there are any issues concerning payment. Paper receipts can be pciked up in person at the library.

Who should I contact if the charge on my credit card is incorrect?

Please contact Zach Veley at (510) 643-7041 or zveley@library.berkeley.edu. Please include your name, the date of the credit card charge, and the problem; Zach will get back to you as soon as possible.

Can a UC Berkeley department use a chartstring to pay for their request?

Yes. In fact, if you are using university funds, you must pay with a chartstring. We cannot accept bluCard payments.

Why do you charge staff, faculty, and students for the scan and print service?

The money that we receive goes directly to paying for the scan/print staffing, maintenance, and supplies.


Can you provide assistance opening and editing the digital files?

No. The images produced during scanning are high quality JPEG or TIFF files. The TIFF files require significant computing power and sophisticated computer imaging software, such as Adobe Photoshop, in order to display and manipulate the files. The library cannot provide individuals with technical support in working with image files.

If I request free web delivery and realize my computer is not fast enough to download the file(s), can I receive the maps on a DVD or USB drive instead?

Yes, but you will have to submit a new request and pay the appropriate fee plus tax.

How long do I have to download the map files from the web before they expire?

You have 7 days from the time you receive the automated email message informing you that the files are ready for download. The files are automatically deleted after 7 days, so there are no exceptions.

I ran out of time and couldn’t download my files before they expired. Can I get those files uploaded again?

Yes, but you will need submit a new request. You may have to wait another 1-3 days for us to process your order. Please download files before they expire to avoid this situation.

How come I can’t provide my own USB drive or DVD when receiving digital files of scanned maps?

We cannot accept your personal USB drive or DVD due to the potential risks and complications.


Copyright 2010 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Document maintained on server by: Earth Sciences & Map Library
Last updated 8/16/10