A Selection of Significant Acquisitions Funded Through Donor Contributions: 2008-2009
The University Library
University of California, Berkeley
- Counseling and Therapy Videos (Alexander Street Press) (psychology)
- Economist Historical Archive (1843-2003)
- LexisNexis Statistical Datasets (numeric datasets)
- Multi Data Online (I1870-1969) (Arab language periodicals)
- San Francisco Chronicle digital backfile (1865-1922)
- State Papers Online, part 1 1509-1603 (British government documents)
- Thieme Electronic Book Library (basic science and clinical textbooks)
Art History/Classics Library
- Yoshikazu Suzuki and Shohachi Kimura. Ginza Kaiwai. Ginza Haccho. Tokyo: Toho-shobo, 1954. A rare two-volume work predating artist Edward Ruscha's Every Building on the Sunset Strip by over a decade, but presenting this other famous thoroughfare in a very similar fashion. First edition.
- Francesca Woodman. Some Disoriented Interior Geometries. Philadelphia: Synapse, 1981. This is a rare facsimile of an artist book made by Woodman in the late 1970s. The photographer juxtaposes her self-photographed body within selected pages from an Italian geometry exercise book.
- Procopios of Caesarea. De gli Edifici di Giustiniano Imperatore. Di greco in volgare tradotti per Benedetto Egio da Spoleti. Written circa 553-555, and probably commissioned by the Emperor Justinian, the work is rich in information on temples, arenas, fortifications, hospices and other buildings constructed by Justinian throughout his reign. First edition, Eighteenth-century stiff vellum binding.
The Bancroft Library
- Encyclopédie méthodique par ordre des matières. Complete set in 206 volumes of this historic version of this Enlightenment masterwork. In original wrappers.
- John Brandi Papers including published and unpublished manuscripts, prose, poetry, illustrations, correspondence with David Meltzer, Jack Hirschman, Michael McClure, Lawrence Ferlinghetti.
- Calderón de la Barca. Segunda parte de Comedias. Madrid: Maria de Quinones, 1637 (twelve plays in vellum binding).
- Luther, Martin. Wider das Bapstum zu Rom vom Teuffel gestifft. Wittemberg: Hans Lufft, 1545.
- Thomas Jefferson and James Madison signed document, a ship's passport, dated March 12, 1804.
- James Monroe letter dated July 22, 1815; John Quincy Adams letter dated May 22, 1823.
- Reward poster for Wells Fargo & Co. dated July 26, 1875.
- Walt Whitman. Leaves of Grass. New York: 1855. First edition, first binding, first state of the frontispiece, later state of impression. Gift of George G. Montgomery and Sarah Montgomery (daughter).
- Riley, Bennett, 1787-1853. To the People of the District of San Francisco: Whereas, proof has been laid before me, that a body of men styling themselves "The Legislative Assembly of the District of San Francisco" has usurped powers…" hrvme (In June 1849, General Riley recommended the formation of at State constitution or a plan for territorial government, as no formal government had been set up following the end of the Mexican American war. This is the manuscript version of this important document related to California history.)
- Serra, Junipero, 1713-1784. Junipero Serra Letter to Fr. Juan Sancho,1784.
- Derby, George Horatio, 1823-1861. Report of the Expedition to the River Colorado made in the U.S. Schooner "Invincible", Capt. A.H. Wilcox, from November 1850 to March 1851. Manuscript : todde
- W C Ralson and William S. Sharon San Francisco Archive. (San Francisco/California 19th century businessmen) Manuscripts: 386 deeds. hrvme
- Taller Martin Pescador imprints and archives, additions (from Juan Pascoe, one of the most notable fine press printers in Mexico).
Environmental Design Library
- TEKHNE. Description et Analyse de Batiments Sociaux de Petites Dimensions Construits au Congo. Communaute Economique Europeenne Fonda Europeen de Developpement. Brussels, Tekhne, n.d., circa 1959. Important, but very rare work on housing in the Congo.
- Osaka. Kenchiku Kenkyukai (Architectural Research Group), eds. Shoten Kenchiku Sekkei Hen. Osaka, Yodoya Shoten Shuppanbu, Shōwa 13 , 3rd printing. Series: Kenchiku Sekkei Shiryo Zushu. Extremely rare book illustrating architecture, especially commercial buildings in Japan, many of which were destroyed in WWII.
- Almanach d'Architecture Moderne: la rédaction de cet almanach est faite par L[e] C[orbusier, pseud.]. Paris: G. Crès et Cie,  Early monograph by Le Corbusier that documents his L'Espirit Nouveau Pavilion for the International Exhibition of Decorative Art (Paris, 1925). In addition to presenting his theories, and the history and description of the pavilion, he discusses two of the projects exhibited.
- Fahnestock, Jackson. About Place: A Place Where; A Little Black & White Book; Inked Impressions. San Francisco: Jackson Fahnestock, 2008-09. A series of 3 handmade artists's books housed in a wooden box shaped like a building. Made by a San Francisco architect, the books describe three "tours" of imaginary towns where the visitor has paused and reflected on what's before him. They include special images and sketches from extensive travels in Europe that reflect highly personalized images of the physical environment and speak to the subliminal feelings and interpretive observations that impact impressions of a place and its environs. Limited ed. of 100.
- Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers. Full set of CIBSE Guides Important collection of building science standards and technical guides requested by faculty in the Building Science Group.
Media Resources Library
- Archives of the San Francisco International Latino Film Festival. A mixed analog and digital collection.
Jean Gray Hargrove Music Library
- Agazzari, Agostino, Sacre Laudes de Iesu, B. Virgine, Angelis, Apostolis, Martyribus, Confessoribus, Virginibus, Quaternis, Quinis, Senis, Septenis, Octonisq[ue] vocibus. Cum basso ad Organum, & musica instrumenta. Liber Secundus. [Tenor, Sextus and Septimus parts]. Venice: Ricciardo Amadino, 1608.
- Pecci, Tomaso, 1576 - 1604. Madrigali A Cinque Voci. Libro Secondo. Terza impressione. [Basso part]. Venice: Stampa del Gardano... Appresso Bartolomeo Magni, 1617. Hargrove already had a microfilm of the 1612 edition of all five parts of this set of madrigals; this part allows not only for interesting comparisons with the earlier edition but also closer study of the details of the Gardano firm's printing.
- Anonymous. Si come ogni cor distilli. Manuscript musical setting of a madrigal for 6 voices. Complete set of parts for Canto Primo, Canto 2do, Alto, Tenore Primo, Tenore Secondo, and Basso. Italian, first half of the 17th century.
- A contemporary scribal copy of Handel's opera Siroe.
- Working manuscript for Franz Liszt's Psalm 13.
- Collection of first and early editions of keyboard works by Johann Sebastian Bach.