Guides to Business Subjects
No. 17 - Job Interviews
This is one of a series of research guides produced by the Thomas J. Long Business Library at the University of California, Berkeley.
Last updated 06/2010.
UC Berkeley faculty, registered students, and staff who are off campus may use items marked * by using the library's proxy server.
- Business Guide #4: Company Information
- Business Guide #8: Industry Information
- BusinessGuide #2: Case Studies in Business
- Haas Business School's Chetkovich Career Services
A company's 10-K, Annual Reports, and other SEC filings are a good source of information about a company. * Mergent Online provides company financials in easy to access formats.
* Hoover's provides public and private company profiles that include business overview, products and operations, subsidiaries, current news, history, financials, key competitors, names and salaries of executives. Hoovers reports and current news and trade articles are also available in * Lexis/Nexis Academic.
* Onesource (restricted to Haas students) provides information from a number of business databases. Available are public and private company news and analysis, as well as profiles that provide business overview, products, operations, financials, key competitors and customers, names of executives, news, subsidiaries, divisions.
* Hoover's Handbook of American Business
* Hoover's Handbook of Emerging Companies
* Hoover's Handbook of Private Companies
* Hoover's Handbook of World Business
International Directory of Company Histories
Moody's Industrial Manual
* Value Line Investment Survey
Information about an industry, its competitive environment, trends, and more. See also: Berkeley Business Guide #8: Industry Information for more information on industry research.
* IBIS World Industry Market Research: Outlook, performance, statistics and more on over 700 US industries.
* Thomson ONE: Analyst reports from investment banks via Thomson ONE
* Mergent Online has industry reports that include market trends and outlook for 19 key industries.
* Onesource (available to Haas students only) provides news, market research, financial norms, market share, top participants and analyst reports for key industries.
Encyclopedia of American Industries
Encyclopedia of Emerging Industries
S&P Industry Surveys
* Value Line Investment Survey
Finding periodical and newspaper articles about companies is an important step in researching any type of company, whether public or private. If the company is relatively small and not public and isn't covered in one of the descriptive directories, news and magazine articles may be the only available source of information.
Business & Industry
* Lexis-Nexis Academic
|Salaries||Although there are no published lists of starting salaries for companies, you can use the salary surveys listed in Berkeley Business Guide #13 to get an idea of what the average pay for an occupation or industry might be. Chetkovich Career Services at Haas has salary and placement statistics for recent graduates. The Bureau of Labor Statistics also has a Compensation Survey by metropolitan area for a range of occupations.|
The Business Library has hundreds of titles to help you prepare for an interview. Below is a small sampling of some recent titles; search OskiCat for a full listing.
101 smart questions to ask on your interview
101 toughest interview questions -- and answers that win the job!
Next-day job interview : prepare tonight and get the job tomorrow
Sell yourself in any interview : use proven sales techniques to land your dream job
Tell me about yourself : storytelling to get jobs and propel your career
What does somebody have to do to get a job around here! : 44 insider secrets and tips that will get you hired