The Griffin, Link to the Bioscience Library Home Page

The NIH Public Access Policy and My NCBI

NIH Public Access Policy

The NIH Public Access Policy affects you if you have a current NIH grant or have students or staff whose salaries are paid by NIH.

The NIH Public Access Policy requires all NIH-funded investigators to submit their final, peer-reviewed manuscripts to the NIH’s PubMed Central (PMC) database upon acceptance for journal publication. The requirement applies to any NIH direct funding, including grants, contracts, training grants, subcontracts, etc. PMC will then make these papers freely available to the public no later than 12 months after publication.

This policy will affect NIH grant recipients in two ways:

  1. Articles resulting from your grant must be submitted to PubMed Central either by the journal or by you.
  2. The PubMed Central ID number or Submission Number must be referenced in your NIH applications, proposals and progress reports submitted on or after May 25, 2008

For more information on compliance with this policy, see the UC Berkeley Library Scholarly Communication page on the NIH Mandate: How To Comply.

Important links:

NIH Public Access Policy overview
NIH Public Access Policy FAQ
PMC submission methods
Journals that submit articles to PMC
Letter to publishers to retain your right to submit to PMC
SHERPA RoMEO: Publisher copyright policies

Managing Compliance with the NIH Public Access Policy

Program directors and principal investigators must now use My NCBI's "My Bibliography" tool to manage their professional bibliographies.

Using My Bibliography in My NCBI:

  1. Establish a My NCBI account to gain access to My Bibliography. Users can log in to My NCBI and access My Bibliography from eRA Commons, or they can log in directly to My NCBI using their eRA Commons username and password. References saved in My Bibliography will automatically appear in your linked eRA Commons account.

  2. Link My NCBI and eRA Commons accounts: Sign in to My NCBI and then click on your user name at the top right of the page header. This will take you to the Account Settings page. Under "Linked Accounts," click "Change" if eRA Commons doesn't appear. Under "Available Partner Accounts," select "NIH & eRA Commons" and log in to your eRA Commons account. Linking an eRA Commons account to a My NCBI account allows references saved in My Bibliography to automatically appear in the linked eRA Commons account.

  3. Create a bibliography: eRA Commons no longer supports manual entry of citations. Citations must be added to My Bibliography in order to appear in Commons.

Grantees now have the ability to track compliance with the NIH Public Access Policy using My Bibliography:

My NCBI can also be used for:

For additional help, see:

U.C. Berkeley Library Web
Copyright © 2014 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved. Comment Form. Last update: 04/02/15

info & services
academic resources
campus links
contact us

Academic Resources