You can find electronic books by searching OskiCat and limiting to "available online." Or you can browse or search the publishers' websites directly.
To connect to e-resources from off-campus locations, see Off-Campus Access.
- Google Books Search
- Search the full text of all the volumes Google has digitized, access the full text of books that are out of copyright, and view excerpts from many books that are still under copyright. Use the "Find in a library" link to locate a print or electronic copy at a local library. Includes UC Berkeley books scanned for the Google Library Project.
- Open Library
- Contains records for approximately 20 million books, of which about a million (representing 680,000 works) are freely available in full text. Look for the "Read" icon or links to online, PDF, or other formats next to the entry for the book. Open Library also makes digitized books available as protected DAISY files for book reading devices. A project of the Internet Archive.
- Combines the digital collections of more than fifty research libraries, including the University of California, and offers full text access to volumes in the public domain. HathiTrust can be especially useful for accessing government documents. Either the full text or the catalog information of books can be searched, and results can be limited by viewability, subject, author, language, place of publication, date, format or originating library. Users can build and share virtual collections, and those with print disabilities have enhanced access to in-copyright materials.
- Dissertations and Theses
- Full text access to all dissertations from UC since 1997 (many issued in late 1996 are also available). The first 24 pages from all other dissertations for which images exist online are also available. Also included, with more than 1.5 million entries, is the Dissertation Abstracts International (DAI) database, the authoritative source for information about doctoral dissertations. It is possible to search this database by thesis advisor!
- Nearly 40,000 ebooks in a wide range of subject areas; 9000+ titles in the subjects of Agriculture, Medicine, Science and Technology. Contains popular-level books in all categories as well as specialized or technical titles.
ebrary New Online Reader guide
- Knovel Library
- A collection of scientific reference handbooks, texts, and databases in fields including:
Knovel Tutorials (Video)
Food and Nutrition
- Nutrition Care Manual
- Published by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the NCM is the preeminent source of research-based nutrition information and clinical tools available to dietitians, dietetic technicians and other health care professionals.
- Feeding America: The Historic American Cookbook Project
- "... an online collection of some of the most important and influential American cookbooks from the late 18th to early 20th century" from Michigan State University.
- Full-text books on food safety, quality assurance, processing, brewing, regulations, and microbiology, in addition to the latest functional foods, antioxidants, foodborne pathogens, and packaging technologies.
- Access Medicine
- More than 60 McGraw-Hill medical titles including Harrison's Online, Hurst's The Heart, Metabolic and Molecular Bases of Inherited Disease (MMBID), AccessLANGE, and CMDT Online.
- AMA Manual of Style.
- American Medical Association.
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy
- A series of healthcare books for medical professionals and consumers.
- PubMed Bookshelf
- A searchable collection of online full-text biomedical books available from NLM.
- PubMed Bookshelf
- A searchable collection of online full-text biomedical books available from NLM. Sample titles available through PubMed Bookshelf:
- Basic Neurochemistry, Molecular, Cellular, and Medical Aspects, 6th ed.
- Biochemistry, 5th ed.
- Cancer Medicine, 5th ed.
- The Cell - A Molecular Approach, 2nd ed.
- Developmental Biology, 6th ed.
- Immunobiology, 5th ed.
- Molecular Biology of the Cell, 4th ed.
- Molecular Cell Biology, 4th ed.
- EcoSal Plus
- A frequently updated Web resource based on the ASM Press publication Escherichia coli and Salmonella: Cellular and Molecular Biology. A comprehensive archive of the entire corpus of knowledge about the enteric bacterial cell.
- Encyclopedia of Biological Chemistry (Second edition)
- Contains over 500 article providing overviews of major topics in biochemistry.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man
- A catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. It contains textual information, references, and links to MEDLINE, sequence records, and additional related resources. OMIM is intended for use primarily by physicians and other professionals concerned with genetic disorders, by genetics researchers, and by advanced students in science and medicine.
- The Prokaryotes
- A multi-volume handbook on the biology of bacteria and archaea.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library
- A consortium of 12 major natural history museum libraries, botanical libraries, and research institutions organized to digitize, serve, and preserve the legacy literature of biodiversity, with titles such as:
- Birds of North America
- The electronic version of Birds of North America provides detailed scientific information of the more than 716 species of birds nesting in the USA and Canada. The print version of BNA was completed in 2002, a joint 10-year project of the American Ornithologists' Union, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, and the Academy of Natural Sciences.
- Botanicus Digital Library
- A freely accessible, Web-based encyclopedia of historic botanical literature from the Missouri Botanical Garden Library.
- Complete Charles Darwin Online
- Darwin's complete publications (including Origin of Species, Voyage of the Beagle, Zoology and Descent of Man), thousands of handwritten manuscripts, and the largest Darwin bibliography and manuscript catalogue ever published; also hundreds of supplementary works: biographies, obituaries, reviews, reference works and more. From the Cambridge University Library and others.
Note: The Bioscience Library has the world's most complete collection of British and American editions of Darwin's work published during his lifetime. See the Bioscience Library Reference Desk for assistance.
- Encyclopedia of Biodiversity (Second edition)
- The electronic version of the five-volume Encyclopedia of Biodiversity. Provides in-depth information on all aspects of biodiversity issues worldwide, including social and policy issues.
- Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia
- Offers concise accounts of thousands of species, including information on evolution and systematics, physical characteristics, distribution, habitat, behavior, feeding ecology and diet, reproductive biology, conservation status and significance to humans.
- Cambridge Books Online
- Access to selected Cambridge University Press e-books in the sciences, engineering and social sciences.
- The CRC Press selection of titles in the life sciences can be searched together or in subject-based groupings, including:
CRCnetBASE Troubleshooting Guide
- Elsevier Science Direct eBooks
- Full-text access to nearly 1500 Elsevier e-books in the life sciences, plus access to the abstracts of another 5000+ titles.
- National Academies Press
- Full-text PDFs of books and reports from the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, the Institute of Medicine, and the National Research Council.
- Oxford Scholarship Online
- Chapter-level access to Oxford University Press e-books in biology, neuroscience, and other subject areas.
- RSC eBooks Collection
- Over 700 scientific and technical books in the field of Food, Environment, and more, from the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Springer eBooks
- Full-text access to more than 40,000 digitized scholarly books. Subject collections cover Biomedical and Life Sciences, Chemistry and Materials Science, Earth and Environmental Science, Engineering, and other disciplines.
- UC Press E-Books Collection
- Includes almost 2,000 books from the University of California Press and other scholarly presses on a range of topics, including art, science, history, music, religion, and fiction.
- Wiley Online Library
- Backfiles in the life sciences, plus access to selected newly published books in many subject areas.
Copyright © 2014 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved. Comment Form. Last update: