Library Student Employment Task Force
provided by Task Force Chair, Ann Jensen, 10/25/99
Summary of recommendations with comments on status
- Raise base pay for SLE's to at least $7.50/hour
ACCOMPLISHED FALL99. THIS HAS LESSENED THE URGENCY FOR
RECOMMENDATIONS #2-4 BELOW, THOUGH NOT ENTIRELY.
- Develop monetary and other incentives for longer employment.
- Remove 6-month delay for automatic pay increases.
- Give awards and other acknowledgements after long-tenure
- Commend Library staff for creating an environment in which students want
to work and enjoy their work.
THIS SHOULD BE DONE ON AN ONGOING BASIS - FROM LIBRARY ADMINISTRATION,
LIBRARY HUMAN RESOURCES, INDIVIDAUL UNIT HEADS, ETC
- Analyze the work in library units, watching for ways to increase
efficiency, use student library assistants more effectively.
SHOULD BE A PRIORITY FOR EVERY UNIT
- Reclass student positions, when appropriate, easily and efficiently
based on clear standards
I AM NOT AWARE OF ANY CHANGES IN THE PROCESS TO RECLASS STUDENTS.
- Study training methods and other ways to increase efficient use of
student library employees.
- Allow units the latitude to use their GA allocation in a variety of ways
to accomplish the work of their unit, including hiring part-time casual
employees rather than students, within well-proscribed limits, and while
retaining opportunities for student employment.
THIS HAS BEEN DONE
- The library explore creation of a public service training video which
would give all newly hired students some common vocabulary and
understanding about the library.
NO ACTION - NO FUNDS
Copyright (C) 2000 The Regents of the University of
California. All rights reserved.
Document maintained by: Library Web Manager
Last updated 02/16/00. Server manager: