Student Library Employee Task Force
Questionnaire for Supervisors of Student Library Employees
Unit: __________________________ Current number of students employed: _______________
- Kinds of tasks for which students are employed in your unit.
Classification Levels Tasks (Circ, Shelving, Technical, etc.) Student Asst II ___________________________ Student Asst III ___________________________ Clerk I ___________________________ Library Asst I ___________________________ Other ___________ ___________________________
- Time required for training before a student can work relatively independently:
Average training time, in hours Circulation Desk ___________________________ Shelving/Stack Maintenance ___________________________ Technical Processing ___________________________ Clerical/Administrative ___________________________ Other ___________ ___________________________
- How many hours per month does your unit spend : (please average)
Interviewing student employees ___________________________ Training student employees ___________________________ How many months in a semester do you interview and train? ___________________________
- Are students performing tasks which you would prefer to have done by permanent career staff? Yes ____ NO _____
a. If yes, please identify those tasks.
- Student library positions are among the lowest paying campus jobs. What impact, if any, does this have for SLE's in your unit. Please be as specific as possible.
- If student pay rates change, it may effect the number of student hours you have available. How might this affect your unit - pro and con? Please be as specific as possible.
- What do you see as advantages to having students as employees?
- What do you see as disadvantages to having students as employees
- Please describe particular efforts that you and your staff make to create a positive working environment for student employees.
- Anything else that you think we should know about your experiences with student library employees.
Copyright © 1998-99 by the Library, University of California, Berkeley. All rights reserved.
Document maintained by: Nona Mikkelsen.
Last update 3/10/99.
Server manager: Contact