Library Mission Statement, November 1993
superceded by Statement of Purpose
The mission of the Library of the University of California, Berkeley is to acquire, organize, interpret and provide access to information and knowledge in support of the Berkeley campus' goal of excellence in instruction, research, and public service.
To achieve this mission, we:
- Energetically integrate our resources and services into the research, instructional and planning activities of the campus;
- Design collections and services in step with the campus' present and future academic programs;
- Collaborate with campus faculty, programs and units, with other libraries, particularly other UC libraries, and with agencies outside UC when such partnerships will enhance our resources and services;
- Provide the campus community and, especially, our students, with a welcoming place for self-education outside the classroom and tools for lifelong learning;
- Support an environment within the Library which emphasizes continuous learning in support of the whole of the Library's mission and that of the campus; and
- Share with the local, national and international scholarly community the unique information resources of the Berkeley Library.
Copyright (C) 2000 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved.
Document maintained by: Library Web Manager
Last updated 4/27/00