Administrative Services Task Force 1997-98
The Administrative Services Task Force 1997-98 was charged to review the Library’s administrative services infrastructure for opportunities to streamline operations to speed up processes and reduce costs. Our goals were to identify recurring expense reductions of at least $50,000 for 1997-98, and submit specific re-engineering ideas and methodology for meeting target cuts in 1998-99 and 1999-2000, the equivalent of 3% savings per year for each budget period.
We began our task with a look back at the work done in March 1995, by the Administrative Services Strategic Planning Implementation Team, chaired by Jeanne Fong. Many recommendations made by the earlier group have been implemented. (See Attachment A.) Some recommendations were before their time, in that technology was not available throughout the Library for implementation. We have put forward those suggestions we feel are still relevant given today’s technology, along with some new ideas for improved efficiencies and effectiveness throughout the Library. (See Summary of 1998 Recommendations (html file), (pdf file)).
- Bancroft Administration, which provides certain business and development support functions for the Bancroft Library;
- Development Office, which is responsible for fundraising for The Library;
- Librarian’s Office, which oversees central administration for the Library;
- Library Business Office (LBO), which handles financial records and reports transactions, including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and purchasing;
- Library Human Resources Department (LHRD), which processes most of the personnel-related activities in the Library;
- Space Planning and Facilities, which manages the Library’s physical plant (especially in the Doe-Moffitt complex), including security;
- Other miscellaneous units throughout the Library performing common administrative functions.
- Review administrative positions in Bancroft, Mark Twain Project, and Conservation for redundancies and appropriate classification
- Establish Library Business Office contract and grants coordinator through reassignment
- Review time card processing; improve timekeeping/scheduling system
- Purchase calendar/scheduler software for use throughout library units
- Review shadow systems for online access to library units
- Automate business forms
- Investigate technology to create and manage administrative forms online
- Implement online ordering for supply service
- Stop recharging units for basic level supplies and postage
Go to table of contents
Copyright © 1998 by the Library, University of California, Berkeley.
All rights reserved.
Document maintained on server: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ by: E. Woods.
Last update 6/29/98. Server manager: Contact