Tenth Emeritus Lecture Honoring
William A. Shack
William A. Shack Bibliography of Publications
- "Ethiopia", in The Encyclopedia of Religion, Mircea Eliade, et al eds. Volume 16, pages 550-552.
- "Social Science Research in Ethiopia: Retrospect and Prospect", in Proceedings, Eighth Conference on Ethiopian Studies. Pages 411-417.
- "Obi: A Heroic Gurage Praise Chant", in Essays in Honor of Wolf Leslau,
S. Segert ed. pages 438-441.
- "On Deus Otiosus in Gurage Religious Traditions after the Accession
of Menelik II", in Modern Ethiopia: from the accession of Menilek
II to the present. Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference
of Ethiopian Studies. pp. 491-499.
- "Collective Oath: Compurgation in Anglo-Saxon England and African States", in Archives Europeenes de Sociologie. Volume 20, pages 1-18.
- "Open Systems and Closed Boundaries: The Ritual Process of Stranger Relations in New African States", in Strangers in African Societies, W. A. Shack and E. P. Skinner eds. Pages 37-47.
- "Politics of the Free Spirit", in Politics in Leadership: A Comparative Perspective, W. A. Shack and P. S. Cohen eds.
- "Foreword", in African Christianity: Patterns of Religious Continuity, by G. Bond, W. Johnson and S. Walker.
- "Anthropology and the Diet of Man", in The Diet of Man -- Needs and Wants, J. Yudkin ed. Pages 261-280.
- "Gurage", in Muslim Peoples: A World Ethnographic Survey, R. V. Weekes, ed. Pages 144-147.
- "Oromo", in Muslim Peoples: A World Ethnographic Survey, R. V. Weekes, ed. Pages 301-304.
- "Occupational Prestige, Status and Social Change in Modern Ethiopia", in Africa. Volume 46, pages 166-181.
- "Guilt and Innocence: Oathing, Evidence and the Judicial Process Among the Gurage", in Journal of African Studies. Volume 3, pages 297-309.
- "A Taste of Soul", in New Society. Volume 37, page 127.
- "The Culture of Black Africa", in World Encyclopedia of Black Peoples. Pages 112-125.
- "Religious Strangers in the Kingdom of Ethiopia", in Journal of Modern African Studies. Volume 13, pages 361-366.
- "Notes on Voluntary Associations and Urbanization in Africa, With Special Reference to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia", in Migrants and Strangers in Africa, N. Sudarkasa, ed. Pages 5-10.
- "Ethiopia and Afro-Americans: Some Historical Notes, 1920-1970", in Phylon. Volume 35, pages 142-155.
- "Land and Man in Highland Ethiopia", in Reviews in Anthropology. Volume 1. pages 366-370.
- "Urban Ethnicity and the Cultural Process of Urbanization in Ethiopia", in Urban Anthropology: Cross Cultural Studies of Urbanization, A. Southall ed. Pages 251-285.
- "Foreword", in Ceremonial Spirit Possession in Africa and Afro-America by S. Walker.
- "Guilt and Innocence: Problem and Method in the Gurage Judicial System", in Ideas and Procedures in African Customary Law, M. Gluckman ed. Pages 153-168.
- "The Masgal-Pole: A Situational Analysis of Religion and Social Change in Gurageland", in Africa. Volume 38, pages 457-468.
- "Comment On: Race Relations by M. Banton", in Current Anthropology. Volume 10, pages 207-208.
- "Some Aspects of Ecology and Social Structure of the Ensete Complex in Southwest Ethiopia", in Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute. Volume 93, pages 72-79.
- "Religious Ideas and Social Action in Gurage Bond-Friendship", in Africa. Volume 33, pages 198-208.
- "Register of Current Research on Ethiopia and the Horn of Africa", with S. Chojnacki and R. Pankhurst. Published by the Institute of
- "Black Muslims: A Nativistic Religious Movement Among Negro Americans", in Race. Volume 3, pages 72-79.
- "Belief and Experience Among the Sidamo by J. Brogger" in American Anthropologist.
- "In Search of Cool Ground (Ethnographic Film) by A. Singer and D. Turton" in American Anthropologist.
- "Pastoral Partners: Affinity and Bond-Partnership Among the Dassanetch in Southwest
Ethiopia" in Africana Journal.
- "The Life and Times of Menelik II, Ethiopia, 1844-1913 by H. Marcus" in Africa. Volume 48, pages 190-191.
- "Studies in African Social Anthropology: Essays Presented to Professor Isaac Schepera by M. Fortes and S. Patterson" in International Review of Modern Sociology. Volume 8, pages 132-133.
- "Ethiopia: Anatomy of a Traditional Polity by J. Markakis" in Africa. Volume 46, pages 420-421.
- "Ethiopia: Political Contradictions in Agricultural by M. Stahl" in Africa. Volume 46, page 214.
- "Greater Ethiopia: The Evolution of a Multi-Ethnic Society by D. N. Levine" in American Scientist. Volume 63, pages 474-475.
- "Corporations and Society by M. G. Smith" in Journal of Overseas Administration. Volume 14, pages 269-270.
- "Pygmie Kitabu by J-P. Hallet and A. Pelle" in Psychology Today. Volume 7, page 16ff.
- "Traite de langue Amharique by M. Cohen" in American Anthropologist. Volume 76, pages 168-170.
- "The Abyssinians by D. Buxton" in American Anthropologist. Volume 74, page 239.
- "Reconstructing African Culture and History by C. Gabel and N. Bennet" in American Anthropologist. Volume 71, pages 151-152.
- "Wax and Gold: Tradition and Innovation in Ethiopian Culture by D. N. Levine" in Africa. Volume 36, pages 333-334.
- "Land Tenure in Chore (Shoa): A Pilot Study by H. S. Mann" in Africa. Volume 37, pages 104-105.
- "Tribe and Class in Monrovia by M. Fraenkel" in American Anthropologist. Volume 68, page 1281.
- "African Law: Adaptation and Development by H. Kuper and L. Kuper" in Journal of Asian and African Studies. Volume 2, pages
- "Black Nationalism: A Search for Identity in America by E. Essien-Udom" in Race. Volume 4, pages 131-132.
- African Abstracts 10, No. 1, January 1959, Abstracts 19-20.
- African Abstracts 10, No. 3, July 1959, Abstracts 317-323.
- African Abstracts 10, No. 4, October 1959, Abstracts 464-477.
- African Abstracts 9, No. 2, April 1958, Abstract 132.
- African Abstracts 9, No. 3, July 1958, Abstracts 249-254; 258-261.
PAPERS AND PUBLIC DOCUMENTS:
- "Refugee Evaluative Baseline Attitudinal Survey Effort" with R. Mensing and D. Donham. Prepared for the United States Agency for International Development/Somalia and the National Refugee Commission,
- "Peasants, Feudalism and Revolution in Ethiopia?" revised for the Seventh Annual Martin Luther King Lecture Series at Purdue University, Africana Studies Occasional Paper, no. 80-6.
- "The Multi-Ethnic Factor in Namibia." African-American Scholars Council for the Agency for International Development. Washington, D.C.
- "Land Reform in Zimbabwe: Problems and Prospects." African-American Scholars Council for the Agency for International Development. Washington, D.C.
- "Problems and Prospects of Rural Agricultural Development in Swaziland: A Social Anthropological View." Office of Southern African Affairs, Agency for Intenational Development, Washington, D.C. and Ministry of Agriculture, Swaziland.
- "On Black American Values in White America: Some Perspectives on the Cultural Aspects of Learning Behavior and Compensatory Education." Social Science Research Council Subcommittee on Values and Compensatory Education. New York.
Shack Home | Biographical
Information | Bibliography
Emeritus Home | Anthropology
Department | The George &
Mary Foster Anthropology Library | Faculty
Copyright © 2007 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved.
Document maintained on server: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ by the Anthropology Library.
If you have questions about this page, mail email@example.com
08/24/2007. Server manager: contact