Berkeleyan: A newspaper for faculty and staff of the University of California at Berkeley. May 7-13, 1997, Vol. 25, No. 34.

"Nameless No More: The Anthropology Department Names Its Library in Honor of the Fosters"

Ever since it was founded in 1959, the campus's anthropology library has been nameless-until now. On April 16, in honor of two pillars of the anthropology department and of American anthropology, the branch library was named the George and Mary Foster Anthropology Library. George Foster, 83, a Berkeley professor emeritus of anthropology, has made important contributions for more than 55 years to a vast array of anthropological subjects including ethnography and field work, historical reconstruction, medical anthropology, peasant studies and pottery analysis. A Berkeley alumnus, he helped found the joint program in medical anthropology in 1975 and has written more than 20 books and 100 articles. The library's holdings include a copy of Foster's published PhD dissertation with an inscription on it to Kroeber, his dissertation adviser. Mary Foster, 82, who received her doctorate in linguistics from Berkeley in 1965, has written some 23 scholarly articles and is an activist in the international peace movement. The research library has some 80,000 volumes and is only one of three anthropology libraries in the country at a research university, said anthropology librarian Suzanne Calpestri.

Foster Home | Biographical Information | Bibliography

Emeritus Home | Anthropology Department | The George & Mary Foster Anthropology Library | Department of Anthropology Publications

Copyright © 2007 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Document maintained on server: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ by the Anthropology Library.
If you have questions about this page, mail scalpest@library.berkeley.edu
Last update 08/24/2007. Server manager: contact