Eleventh Emeritus Faculty Lecture
Honoring George DeVos
Published Works from the 1970s
- With Hiroshi Wagatsuma. "Status and Role Behavior in Changing
Japan: Psycho-Cultural Continuities." In George H. Seward and Robert C.
Williams (eds.), Sex Roles in Changing Society (New York: Random House,
- With William Caudill. "Achievement, Culture and Personality: The
Case of Japanese Americans." In Minako Kurokawa (ed.), Minority
Responses (New York: Random House, 1970), 179-186.
- "Spoor of the Unicorn." Review in Contemporary Psychology,
1970, 15(6), of Stanley Plog and Robert P. Edgerton (eds.), Changing
Perspectives in Mental Illness (New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston,
- "Social Problems in Japan: The Research of American Social
Scientists." In Edward Norbeck (ed.), The Study of Japan in the
Behavioral Sciences (Rice University Studies). 56:4, 1970.
- Review of Japan: Culture, Education and Change in Two Communities
by Theodore Brameld in American Anthropologist. Feb. 1970, Vol. 72, No.
of Robert Jay Lifton's History of Human Survival (New York: Random
House, 1970). Journal of Asian Studies. November 1970, 30(1):161-162.
- Review of Charles A. Moore (ed.), The Japanese Mind: Essentials of
Japanese Philosophy and Culture (Honolulu: East-West Center Press,
University of Hawaii Press, 1967). Journal of the American Oriental Society.
90:4 (1970), pp. 608-610.
- "Conflict, Dominance and Exploitation." In Nevitt Sanford and
Craig Comstock (eds.), Sanctions for Evil, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass,
- Review of Personality in Japanese History, Albert M. Craig and
Donald H. Shively, eds. Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies. 1971, Vol.
- Review of Kenneth B. Pyle, The New Generation in Meiji Japan:
Problems of Cultural Identity, 1885-1895. Annals of the American Academy of Political and
Social Science. March 1974, Vol. 394, pp. 137.
- Japan's Outcastes: The Problem of the Burakumin. London: Minority
Rights Group. Report No. 3, March 1971.
- Review of Elizabeth Anne Hemphill, The Road to Keep: The Story of
Paul Rusch in Japan (Tokyo and New York: Walker Weatherhill, 1970). The
Asian Student. May 1, 1971.
- "Social Stratification and Ethnic Pluralism: An Overview from the
Perspective of Psychological Anthropology." Race.
April 1972, 13(4):435.
- With Edward Norbeck. "Culture and Personality: The Japanese."
In Francis L. K. Hsu (ed.), Psychological Anthropology. Cambridge:
Schenkman Publishing, 1972.
- Review of Albert M. Craig and Donald H. Shively, Personality in
Japanese History. American Anthropologist. Vol. 74, No 1-2,
of Robert E. Cole, Japanese Blue Collar: The Changing Tradition. Journal
of Asian Studies. May 1972, 31(3):685-686.
- With Hiroshi Wagatsuma. "Family Life and Delinquency: Some
Perspectives from Japanese Research." In William P. Lebra (ed.), Transcultural
Research in Mental Health. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, pp. 59-87.
- "Postwar Social Change in Japan." Asian Pacific Quarterly.
Autumn 1972, Vol. IV, No. 2, pp. 1-38.
- "Japan's Outcastes: The Problem of the Burakumin." In Ben
Whitaker (ed.), The Fourth World: Victims of Group Oppression.
London: Sidgwick & Jackson, 1972, pp. 308-327.
- Review of Social Change and the Individual, Japan Before and After
Defeat in World War II by Kazuko Tsurumi. Journal of the American
Oriental Society. 1972, 92:4.
- Personality patterns and problems of adjustment in American-Japanese
intercultural marriages. Taipei: The Chinese
Association for Folklore, 1973.
- Review of Social Change and the City in Japan: From Earliest Time
Through the Industrial Revolution by Takeo Yazaki. American
Anthropologist. April 1973, Vol. 75, No. 2.
- "Provocative View of Japanese Culture." Review of The
Japanese and the Jews by Isaiah Ben-Dasan (New York: John Weatherhill,
1972). The Asian Student. May 12, 1973.
- Socialization for Achievement: Essays on the Cultural Psychology of
the Japanese (ed.). Berkeley: University of California Press, 1973. <<
Reviews of this work >>
- With Ezra Vogel. "Achievement, Culture and Personality: The Case of
William Caudill." The Journal of Nervous and Mental Diseases. Vol.
157, No. 4 pp. 232-236.
- With Otto Klineberg. Migration, Ethnic Minority Status and Social Adaptation.
United Nations Social Defense Research Institute, Rome.
- "Japan's Radical Student Movement." Review of Japan's First
Student Radicals by Henry Dewitt and Smith II and Revolt in Japan by
Ben-Ami Shillony. The Asian Student. December 8, 1973.
- With Wm. Wetherall. Japan's Minorities. London: Minority Rights
- "Cross-Cultural Studies of Mental Disorder: An
Anthropological Perspective." American Handbook of Psychiatry. Vol.
3, Gerald Caplan (ed.). New York: Basic Books, 1974.
- Foreword to Gods of Myth and Stone by Michael Czaja. New York
& Tokyo: Weatherhill, 1974.
- "Psychologically Oriented Studies in Comparative Cultural
Behavior." Frontiers of Anthropology. Murray J. Leaf (ed.). New
York: D. Van Nostrand Co., 1974, pp.189-231.
- "The Relation of Guilt Toward Parents to Achievement and Arranged
Marriage Among the Japanese." In Japanese Culture and Behavior,
Takie Sugiyama Lebra and Wm. Lebra (eds.). Honolulu: University Press, Hawaii,
- "Mao's Revolution on the Couch." Modern Asian Studies. January
1974, Vol. 8, Part I, pp. 113-144, Cambridge University Press.
- With Eiji Murakami. "Violence and Aggression in Fantasy: A
Comparison of American and Japanese Lower-Class Youth." In Youth,
Socialization and Mental Health, William P. Lebra, ed.). Honolulu:
University Press of Hawaii, 1974, pp. 153-177.
- "Achievement Orientation, Social Self-Identity, and Japanese
Economic Growth." In Modern Japan: An Interpretive Anthology, Irwin
Scheiner (ed.). New York: MacMillan Publishing Co., 1974, pp.155-164.
- With Winifred Dahl. Japanese Culture through the Camera's Eye.
Berkeley: University of California Extension, 1974.
- With Lola Romanucci-Ross, eds. Ethnic Identity: Cultural Continuities
and Change. Palo Alto: Mayfield Publishing Co., 1975. <<Reviews
of this work >>
- With Audie Bock. Themes in Japanese Society as seen through the
Japanese Film. Berkeley: University of California, Pacific Film Archive,
- Review of East Across the Pacific, Hilary Conroy and T. Scott
Miyakawa (eds.). In American Political Science Review. March 1975, Vol.
LXVIII, No. 1.
- "Dangers of Pure Theory in Social Anthropology." Ethos.
Spring 1975, 3(1):77-91.
- "Affective Dissonance in Primary Socialization: Implications for
Theory of Incest Avoidance." Ethos. Summer 1975, 3(2).
- "Apprenticeship and Paternalism: Psychocultural Continuities
Underlying Japanese Social Organization." In Modern Japanese
Organization and Decision Making, Ezra Vogel (ed.). Berkeley: University of
- With Bryce Boyer and Richard Day. "Two Styles of Ego Development: A
Cross-Cultural Longitudinal Comparison of Apache and Anglo School Children."
Ethos. Fall 1975, 3(3).
- With William Wetherall "Ethnic minorities in Japan." In Case
Studies on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedom, A World Survey. Vol. I,
William Veenhoven (ed.). The Hague: Published for the Foundation for the Study
of Plural Societies by Martinus Nijhoff.
- "Japan's International Future: Cultural Dilemmas in Citizenship and
Social Belonging." Proceeding of the 2nd Tsukuba International Symposium
on the Role of Japan in the Future World of Technology, Economy and Culture.
University of Tsukuba, December 1975.
- "The Cultivation of Kurase-en." Strategy for Peace,
Conference on World Peace. Tokyo, the Professor World Peace Academy, 1976.
- Editor of Responses to Change: Society, Culture and Personality.
New York: D. Van Nostrand Company, 1976.
- "The Interrelationship of Social and Psychological Structures in
Transcultural Psychiatry." In Culture-Bound Syndromes, Ethnopsychiatry,
and Alternate Therapies, William P. Lebra (ed.). Honolulu, Hawaii:
University Press of Hawaii.
- "Affective Dissonance and Primary Socialization: Implications for a
Theory of Incest Avoidance." In Socialization as Cultural Communication,
Theodore Schwartz (ed.). Berkeley: University of California Press, 1976.
- "Distanciation et hierarchie: Caracteristiques psycho-culturelles
de la stratification humaine." In L'Autre et L'Ailleurs, Hommage a Roger
Bastide, Jean Poirier and Fran┴ois Raveau (eds.). Paris: Berger Levrault,
- "The Passing of Passing: Ethnic Pluralism and the New Ideal in American
Society." In We, The People, Gordon J. DiRenzo (ed.). Westport,
Connecticut: Greenwood Press, Inc., 1977.
- With Bryce Boyer, Orin Borders, and Alice Borders. "The Burnt Child
Reaction Among the Yukon Eskimos." Journal of Psychological Anthropology.
- "The Japanese Adapt to Change." In The Making of
Psychological Anthropology, George D. Spindler (ed.). Berkeley: University
of California Press, 1978.
- "Selective Permeability and Reference Groups Sanctioning:
Psycholcultural Continuities in Role Degradation." In Major Social
Issues - A Multi-Community View, Milton Younger (ed.). Free Press, 1978,
- With Hiroshi Wagatsuma. "A Koan of Sincerity: Osama Dazai."
Hartford Studies, in Literature. 1978, Vol. 10, Nos. 1, 2, 3, pp.
- Review of Contributions to Anthropology, by Irving Hallowell. Journal
of Psychological Anthropology. 1978, 1(1):121-124.
- "Adaptation and Adjustment: Cross-Cultural Perspective on Mental
Health," Colloquia in Anthropology. 1978, Vol. 2, Fort Burgwin
Research Center, S. M. U., Taos, New Mexico, pp. 21-45.
- With Lisabeth Hauswald and Orin Borders. "Cultural Differences in
Family Socialization: A Psychocultural Comparison of Chinese and Japanese. In Japan:
A Comparative View, Albert M. Craig (ed.). Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton
University Press, 1979, pp. 214-269.
of Authority and the Individual in Japan, Citizen Protest in Historical Perspective,
J. Victor Koschmann (ed.). Monumenta Nipponica, Summer 1979. Vol.
XXXIV, No. 2, pp. 247-250.
- "Jacques Brel est Mort." Kultuurleven. 1979/4 - May.
Leuven, Belgium. pp. 307-320.
- Review of Tradition and Change in Three Generations of
Japanese-Americans, by John W. Connor. The Journal of Psychohistory.
Spring 1979, 6(4):583-584.
- Review of Japanese Patterns of Behavior, by Takie Sugiyama Lebra.
American Anthropologist. 81(1):160-161.
- With Orin Borders. "A Rorschach Comparison of Delinquent and
Non-Delinquent Japanese Family Members." Journal of Psychological
Anthropology. 1979, 2(4):425-442.
Socialization for Achievement: Essays on the Cultural Psychology of
the Japanese. 1973.
Review by David W. Plath, Cora Du Bois. Journal of Asian Studies.
Nov. 1974, 34(1):193-205.
Review by William P. Lebra. Monumenta Nipponica. Autumn 1974,
Review by Toyomasa Fuse. Pacific Affairs. Summer 1976,
Ethnic Identity: Cultural Continuities
and Change. 1975.
Review by Peter I. Rose. Contemporary Sociology. Mar, 1976,
DeVos Home | Biographical
Information | Bibliography
Home | Anthropology Department
| The George & Mary Foster
Anthropology Library | Faculty
Copyright © 2007 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved.
Document maintained on server: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ by the Anthropology Library.
If you have questions about this page, mail firstname.lastname@example.org
08/23/2007. Server manager: contact