Eleventh Emeritus Faculty Lecture
Honoring George DeVos
Published Works from the 1960s
- With Horace Miner. Oasis and Casbah: Algerian Culture and Personality
in Change. University of Michigan Museum of Anthropology. Anthropological
Papers. 1960, No. 15.
- "Psycho-Cultural Attitudes Toward Primary Relationships in Japanese
Delinquents - A Study n Progress." International Mental Health Research
Newsletter. 1960, 2(1&2):10-12 (reprinted No. 14, 1961).
- With June Helm and Teresa Carterette. "Variations in Personality and Ego
Identification Within a Slave Indian Kin-Community." National Museum of Canada
Bulletin. No. 190. Contributions to Anthropology, 1960, Part II.
- "The Relation of Guilt Toward Parents to Achievement and Arranged
Marriage Among the Japanese." Psychiatry. 1960, 23(3):287-301 (reprinted: No.
22, 1963; No. 41, 1967).
- (11b) "Psycho-Cultural Attitudes Toward Primary Relationships in
Japanese Delinquents -A Study in Progress." Seishin Eisei (Mental
Hygiene, Japanese translation). 1961, 67:7.
- "Symbolic Analysis in the Cross-Cultural Study of
Personality." in Bert Kaplan (ed.), Studying Personality
Cross-Culturally (Evanston, Ill.: Row-Peterson, 1961), 391-405.
- (4b) With William Caudill. "Achievement, Culture and Personality:
The Case of the Japanese Americans." In Yehudi A. Cohen (ed.), Social
Structure and Personality (New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1961),
- With Edward Norbeck. "Japan." in Francis L. K. Hsu (ed.), Psychological
Anthropology (Homewood, Ill.: Dorsey Press, 1961), 18-47.
- With Hiroshi Wagatsuma. "Value Attitudes Toward Role Behavior of
Women in Two Japanese Villages." American Anthropologist. 1961,
- With Keiichi Mizushima. "The School and Delinquency: Perspectives
from Japan." Teachers College Record. 1962, 63(8):626-638.
- With Hiroshi Wagatsuma. "Attitudes Toward Arranged Marriage in
Rural Japan." Human Organization. 1962, 21(3).:187-200.
- "Deviancy and Social Change: A Psychocultural Evaluation of Trends
in Japanese Delinquency and Suicide." In Robert J. Smith and Richard K.
Beardsley (eds.), Japanese Culture: Its Development and Characteristics
(Chicago: Aldine Publishing Co., 1962) 153-170.
- (13b) "The Relation of Guilt Toward Parents to Achievement and Arranged
Marriage Among the Japanese." In Neil J. Smelser and William T. Smelser
(eds.), Personality and Social Systems (New York: John Wiley & Sons,
- "Menstrual Taboos and Chi Square." Review of William N.
Stephen's Oedipus Complex: Cross-Cultural Evidence. Contemporary
Psychology. November 1963, 8(11):434-438.
- "A Kluckhohn Sampler." Review of Richard Kluckhohn's Culture
and Behavior: The Collected Essays of Clyde Kluckhohn. Contemporary
Psychology. 1963, 8:55-56.
- "The Legendary Yakuza." California Monthly. 1964,
- With Eiji Murakami and Takao Murase. "Recent Research,
Psychodiagnosis, and Therapy in Japan." In Lawrence E. Abt and Bernard F.
Reiss (eds.,), Progress in Clinical Psychology (New York: Grune and
Stratton, 1964), 6:226-234.
- "Assimilation and Social Self Identity in the Japanese Former
Outcaste Group." In Mildred B. Kantor (ed.), Mobility and Mental Health
(Springfield, Ill.: Charles Thomas, 1965), Chapter 3.
- "Social Values and Personal Attitudes n Primary Human Relationships
in Niike." University of Michigan Center for Japanese Studies. Occasional
Papers. 1965, No. 9, 53-91.
- "Achievement Orientation, Social Self-Security, and Japanese
Economic Growth." Asian Survey (alternative title Far Eastern
Survey). 1965, 5(12):575-589.
- "Transcultural Diagnosis of Mental Health by Means of Psychological
Tests." in A. V. S. de Reuck and Ruth Porter (eds.), Ciba Foundation
Symposium on Transcultural Psychiatry (London: J. & A. Churchill, 1965),
- With William Caudill. "Achievement, Culture and Personality: The
Case of the Japanese Americans." In Bernard E. Segal (ed.), Racial and
Ethnic Relations (New York: Thomas Crowell Co., 1966), 77-78.
- With Hiroshi Wagatsuma. Japan's Invisible Race: Caste in Culture and
Personality (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1966). <<
Reviews of this work >>
- "Conflict, Dominance and Exploitation in Human Systems of Social
Segregation: Some Theoretical Perspectives from the Study of Personality in
Culture." In A. V. S. de Reuck and Julie Knight (eds.), Ciba Foundation
Symposium on Conflict in Society (London: J. & A. Churchill, 1966),
- With William Caudill. "Achievement, Culture and Personality:
The Case of the Japanese Americans." In Staten W. Webster (ed.), The
Disadvantaged Learner (San Francisco: Chandler Publishing Co., 1966),
- "A Comparison of the Personality Differences in Two
Generations of Japanese Americans by Means of the Rorschach Test."
University of Hawaii Social Scheme Research Institute, Reprint No. 14, 1966.
- With William Caudill. "Achievement, Culture and Personality: The
Case of the Japanese Americans." In Joan I. Roberts (ed.), School
Children in the Urban Slum (New York: The Free Press, 1967), 311-326.
- With Hiroshi Wagatsuma. "The Outcaste Tradition in Modern Japan: A
Problem in Social Self-Identity." In R. P. Dore (ed.), Aspects of Social
Change in Modern Japan (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1967),
- With Keiichi Mizushima. "Organization and Social Function of
Japanese Gangs." In R. P. Dore (ed.), Aspects of Social Change in Modern
Japan (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1967),289-325.
- With Keiichi Mizushima. "An Application of the California
Psychological Inventory in a Study of Japanese Delinquency." Journal of
Social Psychology. 1967, 71:45-51.
- "Psychology of Purity and Pollution as Related to Social
Self-Identity and Caste," in A. V. S. de Reuck and Julie Knight (eds.), Ciba
Foundation Symposium on Caste and Race: Comparative Approaches (London: J.
& A. Churchill, 1967), 292-315.
- "The Mark of Oppression Down Under." Review of David Ausubel's
Maori Youth and The Fern and the Tiki. Contemporary Psychology. 1967,
- (13c) "The Relation of Guilt Toward Parents to Achievement and Arranged
Marriage Among the Japanese." In Robert Hunt (ed.), Personalities and
Cultures (Garden City, N. Y.: Natural History Press, 1967-261-288.
- "The Japanese Adolescent Delinquent in a Period of Social
Change." University of Hawaii, East West Center Review. 1967, 4(2):35-53.
- "National Character." International Encyclopedia of the Social
Sciences (New York: MacMillan Co., 1968), 14-19.
- With Harrison Gough and Keiichi Mizushima. "A Japanese Validation
of the CPI Social Maturity Index." Psychological Reports. 1968,
- "Suicide in Cross-Cultural Perspective." In H. L. P. Resnick
(ed.), Suicidal Behaviors: Diagnosis and Management (Boston: Little,
Brown, & Co., 1968) 105-134.
- "Achievement and Innovation in Culture and Personality," in
Edward Norbeck, Douglas Price-Williams, and William H. McCord (eds.), The
Study of Personality: An Interdisciplinary Appraisal (Rice University
Symposium) (New York: Hold, Rinehart & Winston, 1968), 348-370.
- "Minority Group Identity." In Joseph C. Finney (ed.), Culture
Change, Mental Health, and Poverty ( Lexington University of Kentucky Press,
- With Arthur E. Hippler. "Cultural Psychology: Comparative Studies
of Human Behavior." In Gardner Lindzey and Elliot Aronson (eds.), The
Handbook of Social Psychology (Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley Publishing
Co., 1969, revised), Vol. 4, 323-417.
- "Parental Interaction and Delinquency Formation... Some
Perspectives from Japan." The Young Adult (Des Plains, Ill.: Forest
Hospital Guest Lecture Series, 1969), 47-72.
- With Hiroshi Wagatsuma. "Minority Status and Delinquency in
Japan." In William Caudill and Tsung-yi-Lin (eds.), Mental Health
Research in Asia and the Pacific. (1969), 342-357.
- "Problems and Research in Comparative Human Behavior." Proceedings
of the American Philosophical Society. 1969, 113(5):350-366.
- Review of Theodore Brameld, Japan: Culture, Education, and Change in
Two Communities. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social
Science. September 1969, Vol. 385, pp.183.
- "A Utopian Community." Review of Yoshie Sugihara and David W.
Plath's Sensei and His People (Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of
California Press, 1969), November 15, 1969.
Japan's Invisible Race: Caste in Culture and
Review by Tanamachi Kennosuke. Monumenta Nipponica. 1967,
Review by Douglas G. Haring. Journal of Asian Studies. May 1967,
DeVos Home | Biographical
Information | Bibliography
Home | Anthropology Department
| The George & Mary Foster
Anthropology Library | Faculty
Copyright © 2007 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved.
Document maintained on server: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ by the Anthropology Library.
If you have questions about this page, mail email@example.com
08/23/2007. Server manager: contact